shocking earth

I worked with an electrician for 3 years, putting boxes on/in walls

Sounds like if you have evolved/trusted to go no further than sinking and surface mounting boxes over a three year period, that this voyage is a little too far for your experience.
I suggest you drop anchor and pick up the phone and do the right thing or do that flag waving thing.

Sponsored Links

this is the RCD

this is reading from connecting earth and negative

this is reading from connecting earth and negative

There is no NEGATIVE wire in an AC supply it is the NEUTRAL

If you have 240 volts relative to earth on the wire you call negative then you have a polarity reversal. Live and neutral exchanged. This means your MCBs will be in the neutral and not in the live feed. This is
EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TO LIFE

The lead from the meter to the RCD is far too small. This is a FIRE RISK as that cable will burn before the service fuse opens.

You are out of your depth, you are putting yourself and anyone using electrical appliance in the flat at risk and you have a fire risk from over loaded cables.

You have exposed terminals on the RCD that is loose and appears to be laying on metal tools, very hazardous.

GET AN ELECTRICIAN BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE

Sponsored Links
i'm just reporting what is there, the electrics are shut off and the professional firm that installed the electrics to the upstairs flat have been called in to put right what they installed, so much for the "professionals"

i'm just reporting what is there, the electrics are shut off
The pictures show the supply ON.

i haven't connected any supply, just the earth,
again i haven't installed anything, i've just taken out old junk and reconnected supply where it was in 1st place
Really.

the main supply fuse is still there, rusted can't remove fuse
Implying that you must have attempted to remove it to discover that it was rusted in.

again I haven't DONE anything, just taken away, the incoming supply is as it was
Either you are very confused, or the entire thread is a pack of lies.

Another issue - that meter hanging off the wall upside down won't be recording properly, so you could be prosecuted for obtaining electricity illegally.

The best course of action here is to call UK Power Networks and have the supply to the building disconnected because it is DANGEROUS.
Then have the wiring in the workshop replaced/installed and do whatever repairs are required elsewhere.

FFS the stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

That installation is just waiting to kill someone. The only course of action is to get the supplier out to disconnect the power by phoning their emergeny helpline right now.

i'm just reporting what is there, the electrics are shut off and the professional firm that installed the electrics to the upstairs flat have been called in to put right what they installed, so much for the "professionals"

Before you do anything else read this

http://www.safetyfirstaid.co.uk/first-aid-guides/Electric-Shock-Information.aspx and get someone else to read it in case you are the one who gets the shock.

The electrics are not shut off. There is a supply through the meter to the RCD as proven by the 240 volt indication in the photo you provided.

The "professionals" who installed the electrics would not have meddled with the meter. You said you had removed the junk. A true professional would have called the DNO to perform an emergency disconnection as soom as they saw the meter board in that state.

I wonder who connected these "tails" into the meter.

because this

suggests who ever reconnected the supply got the Live and Neutral reversed, now who did that.. ?

Are those seals genuine DNO / supplier's seals.

sinbad said:
again i haven't installed anything, i've just taken out old junk and reconnected supply where it was in 1st place, ,

Sin badly said:
i'm just running some sockets and i am getting an electrician to make meter connection and sign off work
The chap who did this is an electrician ?

This will run until Sinbad gets hurt because he will not accept advice and is looking for someone to say what he has done is not as bad as it is.

That T+E does look like it's sealed at the meter, oddly?

203000_202944_71974_95481039_thumb.jpg

This 230v between live and neutral could be due to the earth volts being high, due to a L to E fault in the installation, or a reverse polarity.

Suspect reason for sealed meter and 'tiny tails' is that the latter are not properly connected, simply jammed into the sides of the terminals, which can only be done with a small wire (and often with the aid of a toothpick/wallplug etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back