Shocking installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved in to a new house and the electrics are nothing short of dangerous, where do I stand regards this shoddy installation and shouldn't there have been an inspection completed?

null_zpsa8c348d2.jpg

null_zpsa2d367ef.jpg

null_zps4fbba487.jpg

null_zps7e883d65.jpg

null_zps1f3b57e4.jpg

Sponsored Links
The question should be asked to the solicitor that dealt with your conveyance.
Lots of blues and browns, this could indicate a part rewire or maybe just cables extended for black and red.
But looks like recent work, so I would expect some certs and building controls notice.

Just moved in to a new house and the electrics are nothing short of dangerous, where do I stand regards this shoddy installation and shouldn't there have been an inspection completed?
The electrics look potentially dangerous. Get an EICR carried out, isolate the socket in the meantime if you can, and budget some extra for remedial work. The board is very modern, of a reputable make, which is a good start.

You don't say whether you are a new owner or tenant? The rules are very different.

Just bought it. The wires have been extended from the original circuits. The board is packed out from the wall on about 30 penny washers. It's the worst installation I've ever seen, and clearly the work of an incompetent novice.

There's no sign of any sleeving, earthing or otherwise, for some reason the swa to the garage hasn't been earthered properly, the boiler wasn't earthed at all (the earth wire has been terminated on an unused terminal on the timer)

Sponsored Links
There is no excuse for that. Hager are one of the easiest boards to install neatly, And I spy a few other sins there too (including no earth on the SWA armour).

There may be a date stamp on the CU or the MCBs but this will have been installed during the time after Part P was introduced, so there should have been notification to the Local Authority to keep it street legal.

this should have been provided as part of the questions to the vendor.

There should have been a declaration made by the previous house owner, that would concern any recent electrical work and a request for documentation.
If the house owner has not truthfully answered the questions, I would be speaking to my solicitor about it.

There may be a date stamp on the CU or the MCBs but this will have been installed during the time after Part P was introduced, so there should have been notification to the Local Authority to keep it street legal. ... this should have been provided as part of the questions to the vendor.
All true, but either such documents were produced or else the OP proceeded with the purchase without them having been produced. I would think that the OP's only hope of any legal redress would be if the vendor untruthfully answered 'No' to the question about electrical work since Jan 2005 (the surveyor will presumably already have included plenty of caveats about not being an electrical expert etc.!).

coopersim: was this a traditional purchase, direct from a live vendor, or a repo/probate/auction sale?

Kind Regards, John

I've just had a little look round the wires from the previous boiler installation which I know the previous owner had replaced (read, probably did himself) and found this hanging by a bunch of copper pipes - an exposed, live wire hanging in the breeze easily accessible from the back of a kitchen cupboard.

null_zps949d5415.png

JohnW2";p="2933826 said:
coopersim: was this a traditional purchase, direct from a live vendor, or a repo/probate/auction sale?

Kind Regards, John

Regular purchase, some pretty shoddy workmanship in the house (extractor fans that vent in to ceiling voids, no insulation in a new extension, light switches next to sinks, open vented soil stacks in bathrooms, no traps in any pipe work in the kitchen, I could go on!)

Regular purchase, some pretty shoddy workmanship in the house (extractor fans that vent in to ceiling voids, no insulation in a new extension, light switches next to sinks, open vented soil stacks in bathrooms, no traps in any pipe work in the kitchen, I could go on!)
Did your surveyor mention none of that?

Kind Regards, John

No, I'm compiling a report regarding that! Is appreciate some expert opinion regarding my electrics though if anyone minds

Btw, he answered no to that question, but later declared an extension built in 2010! I did query that.
If he failed to declare electrical work and you can successfully argue that you would not have bought the house (at least, not for the same price) had he done so, then you might have a bit of a legal case against him. The fact that the work was (probably) not notified is not really here nor there (i.e. if he had said that work had been done, but notified, then you couldn't have done much about that, other than trying to use it as a negotiating point), but lying in answer to pre-purchase enquiries is a potentially big issue.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back