Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm concerned about some building work I've had done and thought I'd get some public (and hopefully expert) opinion on it.

I've removed an internal wall to make my bathroom bigger at the cost of my bedroom. Unfortunately there was a window effectively spanning that wall. So I've had the window removed, part of it bricked up, and a new, smaller window put in.

My concerns are:

I was originally told that pebbledash could be done to match, and quoted accordingly, and have since been told pebbledash will never match the old and it will stick out like a sore thumb.

The brickwork on the external wall just seems shoddy. I know this shouldn't matter if it is being rendered but it looks like amateur stuff, should I be concerned about this?

The internal wall (block) isn't flush with the brickwork, its about 15mm set back. I was told this was to dot and dab, but surely the brickwork will need boarding or plastering as well?

So far the pebbledash is the main sticking point, but I've had a sour taste in my mouth about this whole job. I would be happy to be told I'm wrong if that is the case!

Thanks all :)

ExtWallInside2.jpg ExtWallOutside.jpg IntWallInside.jpg

Sponsored Links
Shoddy really doesn't do it justice!

Putting aside the crappy brickwork for a moment, is any of the infill tied into the existing structure and has any attempt to close the cavity been made?

As far a pebble-dashing is concerned a patch repair will always show.

Don't accept dot and dab, its rubbish. Matching pebbledash is very difficult, but that is why you employ a skilled craftsman.
Frank

Nothing a stick of dynamite would not sort out.

Even when walls are plastered and rendered, there is a concept that the wall is still constructed properly. Irrespective of the bad jointing and straight joints, has it even been tied in, tied together, insulated, and DPC inserted?

I'd ask for a refund or not pay anything until it's been built properly. If there is any argument, offer to have it inspected by a professional, and see if it will stand up to scrutiny.

There is no way that has been done by a builder. And so you should not be paying for one.

Sponsored Links
The brickwork in the old window is shoddy, but as as it's being rendered over, this isn't really an issue, but as others have said, was it tied into the old brickwork. Internally, they could well be intending to dot and dab the new wall, but they'll then need to plaster the whole wall to level everything up. Some plasterers would just bond the wall to the old level, and then plaster everything, so query just how they intend to do the job. You can always see where pebble dash has been patched, so how come they said they could do the job to match, and are now telling you the truth. It needs the whole wall done to cover the new bricks, so are they now going to give you a price for that job I wonder.

Thanks all of you. FYI I didn't mention I've been quoted ~£950 for the whole job including the new window.

Even when walls are plastered and rendered, there is a concept that the wall is still constructed properly. Irrespective of the bad jointing and straight joints, has it even been tied in, tied together, insulated, and DPC inserted?
I believe it has been "tied in" - if by this you mean attached to the existing brickwork. I don't know by what method.I don't believe there is a Damp Proof Course (thanks Google) but I didn't think this was required for bricking up a hole.

You can always see where pebble dash has been patched, so how come they said they could do the job to match, and are now telling you the truth. It needs the whole wall done to cover the new bricks, so are they now going to give you a price for that job I wonder.

This is precisely my concern. When the guy came to do the pebbledash, he said it was going to stick out like a sore thumb, and that the real solution was to PVC the top half of the house. What I can't work out is, if it isn't possible to match pebbledash, why was this ever the plan...?

err....because they'll tell you anything to get the job......I guess you knew that, really

I'm sorry Fish, but you've been suckered in. How much have you paid, and are you prepared to confront them and if necessary, kick them off the job - and did you get a written quote, or just a verbal one.

You don't need a DPC on the brickwork, but sometimes you'll find one fitted underneath the window sill. A cowboy will just put new bricks in the old opening, and cement them up against the edge; but it's best to use a fixing on the side of the window as you build up the courses.

So, did you allow the pebbledasher to go ahead, or tell him to come back later, and when are the main contractors coming back. And why did he suggest PVC, when he should have suggested redashing the wall instead - what's his real profession. If the builders had been honest from the start, you could have put up a dummy window on the outer skin of the wall, and made it look as though the blind was permanently down.

I believe it has been "tied in" - if by this you mean attached to the existing brickwork. I don't know by what method.I don't believe there is a Damp Proof Course (thanks Google) but I didn't think this was required for bricking up a hole.

there should a strip of DPC wheres hes closed the cavity

, you could have put up a dummy window on the outer skin of the wall, and made it look as though the blind was permanently down.

Or it could have been done properly, without any dummies on the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back