Shoddy work giving tradesmen a bad name.

How can the plastic manufacturers give a 50 year guarantee when they haven't even been there that long! No one even gives copper that sort of guarantee even though we all know it is quite capable of lasting that long so how the hell do you think plastic will last that long?

Sponsored Links
How can the plastic manufacturers give a 50 year guarantee when they haven't even been there that long! No one even gives copper that sort of guarantee even though we all know it is quite capable of lasting that long so how the hell do you think plastic will last that long?
They may well give a 50 year guarantee on the products, but there will no doubt be a load of getout clauses (pipclips not at specified spaces etc). Also I doubt that the guarantee will go as far as covering the damage to the house and contents, nor the labour to replace it.

I use plastic all the time (always barrier) and in 10mm whooooooooooo cowboy, sooner we get plastic for gas the better, wish plastic had come sooner, all the years of breathing in smoke from soldering under floors lofts ect, and the risk of fire, makes you wonder what 40years of doing that has done to my health, flux on my hands getting into my system, less flux and bits of solder in the heating system, Plastic doesnt rot with cement, you can drop your hammer on it, less joints to leak, doesn't pass heat through the same, doesn't freeze/burst the same, less damage to property as you can cable it through joists and thread between joists witout the tell tale scratched wallpaper blah blah blah.
Good riddance to copper.

Ex colleage dying from Asbestosis, wonder when flux residue will be targeted for causing lung and skin related cancers, F***k copper :evil:

I use plastic all the time
Ex colleage dying from Asbestosis, wonder when flux residue will be targeted for causing lung and skin related cancers, F***k copper :evil:

The Copper Society was set up to promote the use of copper and so protect their business as they seen the writing on the wall.

You won't get a Xmas card from them!
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Some "poorer" countries major income is gained from copper mining. You have a moral duty to use it in abundance. Plactic, as a by-product of the oil industry, is an ungreen product. Also, what happens when the oil runs out - no plastic then eh, so those guarantees will be worth a hill of beans :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

We have used plastic since the old Bartol Acorn system in the early 80's. Yes mice love it, yes it can cause a flood if it blows & yes it can look bad if not installed correctly.

I visited an old customers house we installed Central Heating for in 84, with a view to replacing their boiler. They had left me the house key, so I had a good look at the system. It was all in A1 condition, as good as the day it was installed. However, pex/al/pex is a far better product than poly.

To put a customers spin on it. Not all customers go for the cheapest quote. Personally when I want a job done, I want it to be done professionally and to a high standard. That, I understand is going to cost a bit more, but I'm happy to pay a bit extra for a quality job, rather than something I'm going to forever be dissatissfied with.

To put a customers spin on it. Not all customers go for the cheapest quote. Personally when I want a job done, I want it to be done professionally and to a high standard. That, I understand is going to cost a bit more, but I'm happy to pay a bit extra for a quality job, rather than something I'm going to forever be dissatissfied with.

Yea, but you and the one other guy in the uk isn't going to keep all of us plumbers in work.

:LOL: maybe not, BUT, because "my" plumber is so good (and not that cheap!) he at least gets repeat business, servicing the boiler and the like.

Some "poorer" countries major income is gained from copper mining. You have a moral duty to use it in abundance. Plactic, as a by-product of the oil industry, is an ungreen product. Also, what happens when the oil runs out - no plastic then eh, so those guarantees will be worth a hill of beans :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If we use copper we support poor conditions for foreign workers, who blow all their money on prozzys and pay them extra not to use a condom and catch aids, which of course is all my fault apparently for buying the product, and if we use plastic thats filling the oil producers pockets, we cant win, so I use what is easyest and better to fit, plastic is superior to copper, you ask anyone who's had to have a total re-pipe due to pinholing.

We have used plastic since the old Bartol Acorn system in the early 80's.

We have been to a few failed ( split ) Bartol plastic installations.

Tony

Yes I'm sure T, but it's not something I've seen. I, like most Plumbers have been to 1 or 2 thousand split copper pipes this winter!!!

The point I'm making is; select the correct materials for the job in hand, with an open mind

A little off subject but driving me mad.
RB2004 keeps quoting "lol"which Ive seen before on this site.
Please don't mock this old timer . But what the hell does it mean?

snugib";p="1554726 said:
A little off subject but driving me mad.
RB2004 keeps quoting "lol"which Ive seen before on this site.
Please don't mock this old timer . But what the hell does it mean?[/quote

lol means laff out loud, lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back