Shoot to kill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following off from the "Good Shot" thread ........ Why do the Police always shoot to kill?

I realise that sometimes they have no option, but in some cases shooting in the arms or legs would be enough to disable somebody.

They obviously are following training guidelines but is it always necessary to kill? :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you shoot someone in the leg they can shoot back, if you kill them they can’t

I believe that the policy is to aim for the largest body mass that will disable the person so that they will not be a threat. i.e Aim for the chest as it is the easiest part to hit with the best chance that they will no longer be a threat to the police or the public. Unfortunately there is also a high likelihood that they will die as a result.

MarkBarl said:
Unfortunately there is also a high likelihood that they will die as a result.
I have to say, I dont really have much sympathy for anyone who's posing such a danger that they actually need to be shot dead

Sponsored Links
I believe that the policy is to aim for the largest body mass that will disable the person so that they will not be a threat.

Surely police marksmen are just that, (skilled marksmen) and could shoot each arm which would remove any further threat. :confused:

Bahco said:
I believe that the policy is to aim for the largest body mass that will disable the person so that they will not be a threat.

Surely police marksmen are just that, (skilled marksmen) and could shoot each arm which would remove any further threat. :confused:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha stop watching hollywood films.

MarkBarl said:
I believe that the policy is to aim for the largest body mass

They shoot to hit, not to kill. It just so happens that the largest body mass tends to be fatal.

chrisbyrd said:
I have to say, I dont really have much sympathy for anyone who's posing such a danger that they actually need to be shot dead

Brazilian electricians pose a danger? Or do you have sympathy in that case?

Both servicemen on armed guard in peactime and armed police officers are trained, as previously stated, to shoot as a last resort but, once they do, to aim for the torso ... Best chance of a successful outcome.

It's also a fact that dead people can't stand up in court and question your justification for opening fire ;)

JohnD said:
chrisbyrd said:

Brazilian electricians pose a danger? Or do you have sympathy in that case?

if your told the danger he presents (rightly or wrongly) and in the circumstances what would you have done john?

Sponsored Links
Back