Shooting half dead Birds.

Sponsored Links
The stuff is horrifically expensive and solves nothing, it just pushes the problem somewhere else.

If it was so great every farm would be using it. Its a niche product for animal friendly gardeners, bit like using mole scarers and humane mousetraps. The buggers will be back.

Edit: I suppose we could always go back to the widespread introduction of myxomatosis to control rabbits. Thats a lovely way to control rabbit numbers.

Sponsored Links
The stuff is horrifically expensive and solves nothing, it just pushes the problem somewhere else.

If it was so great every farm would be using it. Its a niche product for animal friendly gardeners, bit like using mole scarers and humane mousetraps. The b*****r will be back.

Edit: I suppose we could always go back to the widespread introduction of myxomatosis to control rabbits. Thats a lovely way to control rabbit numbers.

i think you confuse the words "kill" and "control" !!!!

farmers :)

probably contaminated most of the population with BSE , due to feeding cows with scrambled up sheep brains , pigs with sewage pellets , contaminated the country side with f knows what chemicals & are about to embark on some mass extermination of badgers all subsidised by the tax payer !!

If it was so great every farm would be using it. Its a niche product for animal friendly gardeners, bit like using mole scarers and humane mousetraps. The b*****r will be back.

It's targeted at all markets including farmers and has been endorsed by some impressive orgs.

http://www.grazers.co.uk/index.asp?m=4&t=COMMERCIAL

We are exploring your view, justification of hunting with your dogs and gun as a form of control. The facts don't support your view because it's the general consensus of opinion that shooting and ferreting etc are not effective ways to control rabbits.

It's already out there and is carried by insects. There is also a new strain come from france that spreads from rabbit to rabbit.

It's targeted at all markets including farmers and has been endorsed by some impressive orgs.
Endorsed is one thing, actually being used is another. No farmer i know uses it.
Where do the rabbits go if every scrap of green is covered in this product? As some else has said, they will starve to death. Not very animal loving that.

We are exploring your view, justification of hunting with your dogs and gun as a form of control. The facts don't support your view because it's the general consensus of opinion that shooting and ferreting etc are not effective ways to control rabbits.
And who's consensus of opinion is this? Every landowner i have permission on is quite happy with the methods used.
Until someone comes up with a better way of doing it then its going to carry on.

It's already out there and is carried by insects. There is also a new strain come from france that spreads from rabbit to rabbit.
Im fully aware myxo is still out there, im the poor sod that has to put the suffering rabbits out of their misery when they are wondering around blind.

Why not feed the half dead birds to the poor foxes, I'm sure they would prefer to be ripped to shreds and eaten alive, than be used for target practice. :cool:

Endorsed is one thing, actually being used is another. No farmer i know uses it.
Where do the rabbits go if every scrap of green is covered in this product? As some else has said, they will starve to death. Not very animal loving that.

Oh please let's stick to reality shall we? Chemical repellents have been around since the 50s the forestry commission have done extensive test on 63 of them concluding that 1, Aaprotect, is the best with 95% success rate. Repellents are widely used and have been for years. Rabbits live in a wide variety of areas and let's face it, not all land is commercially used for growing crops, not to mention that only a selective number of crops are eaten by rabbits. I thought you would know all this, after all, you hunt them to control populations..?

Repellents are just one method of control that is more effective than shooting and ferreting.

Question, do you destroy burrows after you ferret them?

And who's consensus of opinion is this? Every landowner i have permission on is quite happy with the methods used.
Until someone comes up with a better way of doing it then its going to carry on.

The forestry commission, DEFRA and Natural England.

Im fully aware myxo is still out there, im the poor s** that has to put the suffering rabbits out of their misery when they are wondering around blind.

Strange thing is that it was the main control method for many, many years until we developed a vaccine for domestic and farmed rabbits. Rabbits get out and breed with wild rabbits and we have now got the situation where instead of the high 90% death rate we see around 30%.

So what's the difference now? Why poor rabbits now when it was a accepted method of control then and now?

We haven't even gone into fencing yet but still I'm waiting to see you produce any evidence to suggest that ferreting and shooting are a effective method of control.

Some reading for you.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcpn2.pdf/$FILE/fcpn2.pdf

According that pdf the best method of rabbit control is gassing. Would you rather i did that?

I like how you convieniently pick the sentances that suit you!

Aaprotect, is the best with 95% success rate

Chemical repellents

.....this advantage is lost if repeated annual
applications are necessary.... Only
treated parts of the tree are protected; untreated areas,
however close they may be to treated areas, are at risk of
damage..... Spraying can only be carried out between mid-
November and the end of February as the material is
phytotoxic to emerging foliage. Spring growth cannot,
therefore, be protected.

Here's a snippet from the basc

The rabbit
The whole of the UK, except the City of London,
the Scilly Isles, Skokholm Island, Jura and the
Outer Isles is a rabbit clearance area under the
Pests Act of 1954. The occupier of any land has
an obligation to kill or take rabbits on their land.
Failure to comply can result in prosecution or the work being done and
charged to the occupier.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/shooting-the-facts-for-journalists.cfm

According that pdf the best method of rabbit control is gassing. Would you rather i did that?

It's not about what I would rather happen, this is all about you need to go out rabbiting under the umbrella of control.

I like how you convieniently pick the sentances that suit you!

I didn't hide anything, that's why I posted the PDA file with link. If you care to do some reading you will see that the only way to keep an area clear is to fence it...

Aaprotect, is the best with 95% success rate

Chemical repellents

.....this advantage is lost if repeated annual
applications are necessary.... Only
treated parts of the tree are protected; untreated areas,
however close they may be to treated areas, are at risk of
damage..... Spraying can only be carried out between mid-
November and the end of February as the material is
phytotoxic to emerging foliage. Spring growth cannot,
therefore, be protected.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/RIN289.pdf/$FILE/RIN289.pdf
Wow talk about cherry picking and then you construct a whole paragraph to make it look like what? You assume I'm arguing to use repellents but you fail to see that I'm pointing out that shooting and ferreting isn't a effective method of control. Here is a more upto date PDA for you to read from Natural England http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/file/148009

Here's a snippet from the basc

The rabbit
The whole of the UK, except the City of London,
the Scilly Isles, Skokholm Island, Jura and the
Outer Isles is a rabbit clearance area under the
Pests Act of 1954. The occupier of any land has
an obligation to kill or take rabbits on their land.
Failure to comply can result in prosecution or the work being done and
charged to the occupier.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/shooting-the-facts-for-journalists.cfm

Yes we know all about the outdated act from 1954 when the problem from rabbits was massive.

here is what the professionals have to say about it ;)

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/rabbit_position_statement_tcm6-9967.pdf

So do you destroy burrows/warrens?

Sponsored Links
Back