Should a drill/driver manage this?

No, I thought the only advantage with those was noise / longetivity.

Sponsored Links
Is this the same as my impact driver but with a different end slipped on to it?
Er, no.... It's a Makita DTW285 (as pointed out by someone else) and generates a lot more torque than an impact driver. Problem is it would twist even #12 (6.0mm) screws and snap them like carrots if you ever got a bit holder and PD bit onto it
Secondly, should my Makita drill/driver have handled this situation? It's still under warranty and I could return if this is an issue.
It shouldn't and it isn't an issue. You bought the wrong tool for that particular task - a bit like trying to use a Vauxhall Astra and a trailer to do that job that you really need a 7.5 tonne truck for. There is nothing wrong with the drill/driver you purchased, but drill/drivers aren't designed for industrial-size fastenings. My DHP481 will do it, but then it's the most powerful 18 volt drill Makita make and even then it is slow and gets hot when tightening multiples on coach screws.

Ok, wouldn't 200Nm be too much for screws, and a bit puny for a wheel nut for instance, my IW has a max torque of 650Nm.
Depends on the screw, really. I have a 170Nm impact driver and I need to go carefully when sinking anything below 5mm (even 5 x 100s snap from time to time). That Bosch above looks like an ideal tool for a tradesman who's replacing joists, sistering ends, etc where a mixture of screw head types, from PZD/Ph to TEK to bolt heads are found and medium to high torque values are the name of the game. I imagine there will be other areas as well, such as building cladding and SFS (structural metsec for want of a better term)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of these:
View attachment 163476

and when I was screwing in (eventually try speed 2 on full torque), it didn't manage to screw in a coach bolt (75mm) into a rawl plug. I got it 3 quarters of the way home but it wouldn't go any further. I suspect my impact driver would have done it if I had it to hand...

Question: is this drill/driver designed for such a purpose? Should it have managed this?
Maximum torque is at lowest speed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back