Should a drill/driver manage this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these:
upload_2019-4-28_21-36-0.png

and when I was screwing in (eventually try speed 2 on full torque), it didn't manage to screw in a coach bolt (75mm) into a rawl plug. I got it 3 quarters of the way home but it wouldn't go any further. I suspect my impact driver would have done it if I had it to hand...

Question: is this drill/driver designed for such a purpose? Should it have managed this?

Sponsored Links
What diameter is the coach screw?
Presumably if you're using plugs it was into masonry?
I presume the hole and plug are deep enough?

I suspect that you are referring to a coach screw:
Coach Screw 001_01.JPG

as opposed to a coach bolt:
Coach Bolt 001_01.jpg

For nuts on the latter (when sistering joist ends, for example) I often use one of these:
Makita DTW285 18 volt Impact Wrench 001_01.JPG

which will generate 280Nm of fastening torque. It doesn't struggle, even when tightening M16 nuts on oak beams. I used to use one of these:
Makita DHP481 Combi Drill 001_01.JPG

which generates 115Nm of fastening torque. It didn't struggle, but equally it was slower and was working very hard at times. My previous drill/driver (a DHP456, 50Nm) really wasn't up to the task as it wasn't powerful enough

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am referring to a coach screw. A couple of follow-up's please:

Is this the same as my impact driver but with a different end slipped on to it?
makita-dtw285-18-volt-impact-wrench-001_01-jpg.163479

I have something like this:
upload_2019-4-29_9-47-30.png

Secondly, should my Makita drill/driver have handled this situation? It's still under warranty and I could return if this is an issue.

Thanks again.

Is this the same as my impact driver but with a different end slipped on to it?

They work just the same, yes. But look how meaty the metal housing is at the top/front. They are designed for a lot more torque than the 1/4 inch hex drive ones are capable of. The have a larger hammer and anvil inside, which is what does the impacting.

should my Makita drill/driver have handled this situation?

Not really, no. When a drill driver has enough torque for a large coach screw, it would need the side handle (look at @JobAndKnock's picture) or it would be potentially dangerous to use.

Your 1/4 inch impact driver it the correct tool for coach screws, up to M10 screws, maybe M12. If it struggles toward the end, finish with a ratchet and socket.

The DTW280/285 1/2 impact wrench is a bit more industrial. I use them for sinking M12 X 150 tap con bolts into 40N concrete and fastening up bolts in structural steel. For plugs and screws, they are not.

The impact driver should be more than adequate for most jobs around the house and fixings commonly found with masonry.

impact drivers and impact wrenches do not work the same way

Did you get that from...?
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/bosch-impact-driver.501301/#post-4133083

Here's an impact driver...
ImpactDriver.png

Here's an impact wrench...
ImpactWrench.png

They do work the same, the parts are pretty much identical. Both use the motor, to turn the planetary gearbox, which turns the spring mounted hammer, which turns the anvil. They work in the exact same way. The only reason there's lots more parts near the chuck in the Driver diagram is because that is the hex bit holder springs/washer/clips/etc.

No, it wasn't from this site, but I don't recall where I read it, or even if the article was accurate. Maybe I should do some research, but I'm not sure if I'm that interest TBH. Anyway as I have both, I don't really care!

Maybe I should do some research

I'll do it for you Eddie!

Seeing as Bosch now do a chuck that takes either 1/4 hex or 1/2 square, then it can't be any different!

upload_2019-4-29_13-0-7.png

Ok, wouldn't 200Nm be too much for screws, and a bit puny for a wheel nut for instance, my IW has a max torque of 650Nm.

Ok, wouldn't 200Nm be too much for screws,

Not really, I never use mine on normal woodscrews, I think they're not the right tool for that. 200Nm would be about spot on for coach screws into wood or plugs, medium concrete screws or long decking screws. My 170Nm driver(Ryobi) failed to undo a short M8 torx bolt recently which had thread lock on it. So a little more oomph would be nice maybe.

I really don't do any of the more heavy duty stuff that Sammy mentioned. If I had a 650Nm tool, I'd never use it!

Not really, I never use mine on normal woodscrews, I think they're not the right tool for that. 200Nm would be about spot on for coach screws into wood or plugs, medium concrete screws or long decking screws. My 170Nm driver(Ryobi) failed to undo a short M8 torx bolt recently which had thread lock on it. So a little more oomph would be nice maybe.

I really don't do any of the more heavy duty stuff that Sammy mentioned. If I had a 650Nm tool, I'd never use it!

As Mr Clarkson would say .... POWER!

No, it wasn't from this site, but I don't recall where I read it, or even if the article was accurate. Maybe I should do some research, but I'm not sure if I'm that interest TBH. Anyway as I have both, I don't really care!

Are you thinking of oil pulse drivers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back