Should billionaires and multinationals pay fair tax?

is "expat" a euphemism for "migrant?" Not a word you've avoided in the past.

surely a migrant should pay tax in the country he is living and working in.

that's what you meant, isn't it. It deals with your "contributing to public services" point too.

A corporation is not a migrant.

Sponsored Links
i think there is an argument that a lot of people live in low cost costa del pensioner and nip home on easyjet when they need a hip replacement.

On the zero tax corporates, their employees still pay tax and they pay vat and business rates etc. but i agree that it’s not fair. Problem is. the UK is squarely in the net benefit position as a result.

I agree with JohnD everyone should pay the same tax. Rich or poor. Every pound you earn should be subject to the same tax.

Shall we say 20p in the £1? corporate, road digger, footballer.

that seems fair.
I think if you were to ask a majority of UK citizens, they would say that the highest earners must pay the larger percentage and would equate that to being fair. I don't think JohnD or anyone else believes everyone should pay the same percentage. Where did JD say we should all pay the same tax?

Sponsored Links
. I don't think JohnD or anyone else believes everyone should pay the same percentage. Where did JD say we should all pay the same tax?

Motorbiking knows I didn't say that, he's just being a playful troll.

i think there is an argument that a lot of people live in low cost costa del pensioner and nip home on easyjet when they need a hip replacement.

On the zero tax corporates, their employees still pay tax and they pay vat and business rates etc. but i agree that it’s not fair. Problem is. the UK is squarely in the net benefit position as a result.

You do realise as MNC start to pay less and less tax then the burden will fall on the employees who the complain why are they paying so much in tax.

Then you have Woody et al defending the tax practices of the rich. He is a very well taught apologist.

When you achieve a certain amount of wealth then paying tax is optional, whether an individual or a corporation.

This is primarily dictated by the economics of capitalism. Because paying tax CAN be avoided then it MUST be avoided to gain or compete with the competitive advantage.

The role of a government in a capitalist system is to attempt to distribute wealth fairly.

No government has ever managed to achieve this, simply because . . . it is WEALTH, not politics or democracy that controls the government.

notch totally fails to find a smartarse reply.

now here's a thing.

Let's suppose Pluminabox UK Ltd operates that warehouse. They do £1Billion of business in the UK every year, make £200Million profit out of their UK customers, and pay £40million UK corporation tax. That's OK.

Next to it is a warehouse operated by Mississippi. They do £1Billion of business in the UK every year, make £200Million profit out of their UK customers, and pay £0 UK corporation tax. That's not OK.

Not only does the nation not benefit, the UK company is undercut by its tax dodging competitor, and goes bust, throwing out of work its forklift drivers, warehousemen, office workers and security guards, and the man who mows the grass.

Are you OK with plumbers, shops and electricity companies registering their companies in tax havens and paying no tax? And the plasterer who declares himself to be of Icelandic origin and an income tax non-dom, even though he, his parents and his grandparents were all born, raised and educated in Britain and have houses and businesses here?

Corporate Tax rates are lower than personal tax rates.

Are the taxes corporations pay much less than personal tax rates?

Corporation tax may be less, but what about overall revenue?

Companys have to pay corporation tax on profits, employers NI on their labour costs, energy cost on electricity and gas, fuel tax on vehicles and although not a tax (but is in reality) business rates.

What planet do you live on?

What do you mean by that?

The poster was implying that these fat companies are getting free use of road infrastructure and not paying anything.

Fuel tax and car tax contribute. So they do.

Sponsored Links
Back