Should billionaires and multinationals pay fair tax?

Sponsored Links
A telling study of HMRC records showed what happened in 2017, when reform to taxes on super-rich non-doms lost some of them significant sums: just 6% fled. Researchers have also found that abolishing non-dom status could raise £3.8bn. Those who left were the ones paying the least tax in the first place, so the tax loss from this was tiny. If hardly any non-doms with foreign connections leave, the rest of the rich are even less likely to flee tax rises. Remember Guy Hands, the founder of Terra Firma private equity, who bolted to Guernsey and its 20% flat tax rate in 2009 to avoid Labour’s top tax rise: “For me it was a disaster,” he wrote last year. “I lost the flow of the market.”

Poly Toynbee@the Graudnia

Where did I say this? Jeez quite a few on here are great at incorrectly stating what they think others think based on a misinterpretation of what's been typed.

Rightly or wrongly, the high majority of us are busy enough going about our day to day business to become involved in any sort of movement that pertains to change (or work towards changing) things like wealth inequality. Therefore, what do you expect the average member of the public to do?

Call it apathy, call it whatever you like, however is it (any sort of inequality) satisfactory? Broadly no, with some exceptions.

To whatever degree, since year dot, we've had rich poor and everything between.

That ain't changing ;)
You haven't said

Do you think the rich are paying more tax than they should?

How do you suggest replacing that tax if you reduce their payments? You and me dig a bit more out of our pockets? Or those shirking youngsters maybe

it seems pretty clear thats what you think

you said:
Eh?

What?!?

Deary deary me. Ok let me try to explain in very simple terms. I say this:

Investment bankers have always and will always make huge sums of dosh. Deal with it.

The above statement, in no way, indicates whether I think it's right or wrong. Yes it might indicate apathy towards the situation, however that's all.

Sponsored Links
Investment bankers have always and will always make huge sums of dosh. Deal with it.

The above statement, in no way, indicates whether I think it's right or wrong. Yes it might indicate apathy towards the situation, however that's all.
Nothing wrong with taxing it then

Nothing wrong with taxing it then
Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Literally ha ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What are you havering about?

It was an EXAMPLE to make my point about the FACT no one can automatically deduce stuff by attempting to read between the lines of what people type. It had nothing to do with the thread topic as such.

Deary deary me ...

You haven't said

Do you think the rich are paying more tax than they should?

How do you suggest replacing that tax if you reduce their payments? You and me dig a bit more out of our pockets? Or those shirking youngsters maybe
45% is plenty.

Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Literally ha ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

What are you havering about?

It was an EXAMPLE to make my point about the FACT no one can automatically deduce stuff by attempting to read between the lines of what people type. It had nothing to do with the thread topic as such.

Deary deary me ...
So I'm wrong to see the relevance to the topic of the thread?

It's not me (or others) struggling to understand what you are on about, if its not taxing HUGE sources of money

Deary deary me. Ok let me try to explain in very simple terms. I say this:

You did not say that though

You said this:

“We have always had, and will always have, inequality. Any person politician or otherwise who says different is telling porkies.

We have the very rich and the very poor with multiple levels between.

Deal with it.”

Any reasonable person would interpret the phrase “deal with it” as: “it’s tough sh1t stop talking about it” …..which I see as you not caring.

You did not say that though

You said this:

“We have always had, and will always have, inequality. Any person politician or otherwise who says different is telling porkies.

We have the very rich and the very poor with multiple levels between.

Deal with it.”

Any reasonable person would interpret the phrase “deal with it” as: “it’s tough sh1t stop talking about it” …..which I see as you not caring.
Feel free to keep on talking about it, in reality nothing will change.

Sponsored Links
Back