Should I be worried about this missing rendering ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be having a new TV aerial put up before too long - properly, not like this one :rolleyes: Before I do, should I be too worried about the bit of missing rendering ? SHMBO tells me it's been missing for quite a few years, and a builder she had do some other bits round the house told her not to bother with it - though she does think that perhaps he just didn't want the hassle.
Also, any suggestions for a ballpark cost to have it fixed - it's on a 2 storey 1960s ex-council house ? If it's going to be out of our budget at the moment, I won't waste anyone's time getting them round to quote for now.

I'm thinking "it needs fixing sooner or later".

PS - apologies for poor picture, I've misplaced my camera and had to use the phone :oops:

Sponsored Links
Suggest that you post focused pics from various elevations.

The render has been previously repaired & looks to be absorbing moisture.

Galvanised corner plates are available to protect the outside corners from the cables.

The concrete flag that's capping the stack doesn't have throatings to allow for drips.

The flashings are a bit untidy.

The stack render is absorbing moisture. Areas have been scratched ready for a top (missing) coat.

If you dont have any leaks then why not leave it until a future, more solvent, time?

Do you have an active gas appliance venting up that flue?

Sponsored Links
The stack render is absorbing moisture. Areas have been scratched ready for a top (missing) coat.
I assume that's the original base layer showing. Same as the internal plastering - most of the skim coat has come off in some rooms :(

If you dont have any leaks then why not leave it until a future, more solvent, time?
There's an element of "I don't like sticking an aerial up that's going to have to come done". Having said that, the new aerial is currently in the loft, and apart from being a PITA as it's in the way, it's working fine - so it might stay that way for a while :rolleyes:

We'll be getting someone in soon anyway to look at another problem (gap up side of stairs suggests gable end wall is now 1/8" further from rest of house than it was a year ago :eek:), so we'll ask for his opinion then.

Do you have an active gas appliance venting up that flue?
Yes, there's a gas fire in the living room - but we don't actually use it. I believe it was checked 2-3 years ago.

To render correctly all the render must come off back to the brickwork. Your stack probably has perished brickwork.
Plan any work you want the least amount of travelling on your fragile roof - roof ladders/crawlers must be used.

The flue prior to the gas fire may not have been swept - hence, soot is now degrading the flue and stack brickwork, plus moisture was entering thro the original flaunching (thats why a flag cap has been installed).

There's probably a number of flues terminating in that stack - they will all require venting and sweeping.

If the gas fire has a liner then you cant sweep the flue without removing the liner.

FWIW: usually it would be the stair string/flight moving away from the brickwork - for a number of possible reasons.
If you stand at a gable corner and look up the exterior gable face, you would see any bulging or lipping.
Perhaps open a new thread in this forum - post pics of inside and outside, and the flight spandrel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back