Should I have installed my composite door plumb or parallel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, just wondering if you could provide any advice on something that's been bugging me for the last couple of days.

I installed a replacement composite door into my garage last Saturday, when I was plumbing up the frame I noticed that the entire wall was off plumb by maybe 3/4 inch. I decided to install the frame bang on plumb instead of parallel with the aperture.

I'm looking at it now and thinking it looks like the door is leaning back in the aperture and it just looks a bit wrong. The door looks to be leaning back maybe half an inch over its length - but it isn't, the wall is off!

I could live with it but I hate doing a half baked job, so I could tilt it slightly outwards to match the outward lean of the wall. Everything I've read so far says install the door plumb though.

So what do we think? Should I have installed it off plumb to start with?

If I do move it out a touch I'd have to do it properly, i.e. fill the drill holes with mortar, wait till it sets and then re-drill the brickwork using the same frame holes. So might take a bit of effort.

Sponsored Links
Plumb? Sounds like I've done it right then.

Its a detached double garage with single layer of brickwork and double brick pillars as a door frame. Can't see any cracks so it's probably just settled slightly on the wonk.

Assuming the door swings inwards then leaning the top outwards will mean the door always swinging closed, you probably won't mind but in a house it drives people mad

Sponsored Links
Should have mentioned its an outward opening door. It would swing open outwards, but not a big deal. Better than swinging inwards and smacking any cars in there.

Plumb is best. Leaning out a bit is ok as that will only aid drainage but the door will self close/open as mentioned above.
Leaning in is a no,no as it prevents drainage.

Anyway plumb is best and if it looks a little odd due to brickwork being out you can scribe in some trims to improve the look.

Many thanks everyone - seems the consensus is that I've done it right installing it plumb. I'll add some side trims to try and improve it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back