Should I install half round, or deep "egg" gutters ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-doing facias and soffits, which means new gutters.

Currently fitted are half round gutters but deep egg gutters have been suggested for the new install.

No one seems to need the run off capacity of deep egg gutters(?), so why do they exist.

Installers seem to recommend "deep flow" gutters, but why, if no evidence of required capacity.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Less likely to overflow when they’ve got some gunk/moss in them? I’ve never fitted them when renewing on various roofs and regret not using them a bit

Definitely go for the maximum reasonable capacity, the amount and frequency of rain we get is worth it. Obviously design and soakaways need to match to ensure optimum run off.

There are better for coping with heavy prolonged rainfall.

Sponsored Links
I like deep flow fitted lots including my own place been up over 30 years .
Was first plastic gutter manufacturers said could be installed level.
Keeps very clear as well probably only cleared it couple of times.

Deep flow is good for significantly larger roof areas or where the outlets are far apart. Visually, they are horrendous.

A normal house roof should not need deep flow. Square has a higher capacity than half round.

Anyone had any issues with fitting these?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back