Should I just go Gas or look at renewables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am moving to a new house soon (new to me, 1910 construction!). It will need a new boiler and re-piping/rads all round.

I will do as much work as possible myself to save costs (plus I enjoy it!) and was wondering if it is worth considering alternatives to a Gas boiler, such as Air/Ground source heat pumps, Solar thermal or biomass boilers? Do the renewable heat incentives make these options worthwhile?

I can see Air source heat pumps aren't too expensive, are they able to be self fitted and if so would I qualify for the RHI?

I see the advantage of renewables being that I could self fit all of the system although obviously if this means I don't get the RHI it isn't worth it. Another thing to bear in mind is that the plan is this is our "forever home" so long payback isn't too much of a worry.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
A 1910 house isn’t suitable for renewables
The house has to have a really good standard of insulation. Yours won’t have

If you are on the gas network get a gas boiler..it’s a no brainier.

Spend your money on improving energy efficiency and gas.

Sponsored Links
Can you explain these points
Nothing to explain.

Electricity is far more expensive than gas. Check prices with any energy supplier.

Things such as solar hot water cost £1000s to install and might save £50 a year. Anyone installing such things will be dead long before the initial installation cost is saved.

Also worth considering is that payback will probably be in the range of 10 to 20 years (capital cost only, not including running costs) but which manufacturers give no-exclusion warranties on their equipment for that length of time.

As BD says, your house will never be worth doing anything other than PV.

I have a mid 80's build house that has everything up to wall cladding and triple glazing and even thten ashp etc are not worth it.

On a properly insulated and properly sized system. ASHP running costs would be comparable to gas. However installation and material costs outweigh the advantage especially as no RHI would not available to self installers.

Iknowcraig If you have mains natural gas you might aswell use it,there is approx 30 years of reasonably priced natural gas left :giggle: One proper european country is already offering incentives to migrate from gas.

I dont do green (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to explain.

Electricity is far more expensive than gas. Check prices with any energy supplier.

Things such as solar hot water cost £1000s to install and might save £50 a year. Anyone installing such things will be dead long before the initial installation cost is saved.

I work as a renewable engineer, many of my customers have elec bills of 1000 per year. That’s for heating , hot water , everything etc. This would be typical of 4 bed detached house.

I have a 4 bed hose and my oil bill is perhaps 1000 per year, then on top is my elec consumption.

My point stands in a well insulated house, set up right and installed correctly renewables is better, more so if they also install pv . There are still grants available to offset the cost I believe.
Opinions all differ, this renewables v gas v oil could be a huge thread on its own

Electricity is far more expensive than gas.

Per kilowatt hour delivered to the house that is true.

The way the enrgy is used however can make electricity more cost effective. Some gas boilers struggle to reach 40% efficiency when supplying "instant" hot water, more than half the energy paid for is lost lost up the flue.

An electrically driven heat pump can achieve a COP of 3 or more, ( 3kW of heat per kW of power used. ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back