should I PVA walls for dot&dab? / £300 to plaster kitche

S

snadge

most of the walls are fine with sort of artex stuff on with old tile adhesive on wall

should I PVA the walls before Dot&Dab? or will it just go on?

the lad doing the plastering says it will just go on but im not sure , hes not a trained plasterer and taught himself - he also said he just puts 8 dabd of adhesive on per board?? I was under the impression it should be 32 for a 8 x 4 board - 1 every 1ft so 8 rows of 4 with solid line at bottom and top of walls - he's charging us £300 to plaster a very small kitchen about 3M x 2.7M and ceiling - two of the walls have doors in and one big window so the total area isnt that much -
is this a good price for a self-taught plasterer doing it as a favour after work?
hes husband of my partners friend

note: this is in Newcastle in North East - not London where prices for everything is 3 fold what it is here - I was expecting it too be no more than £200 as a good plasterer could have that done in one day if he wanted to, 1.5 days if he spent a half of one day doing ceiling first

i asked for price with him dot&dab aswell and he said extra £60 which I thought was good - but unsure of the £300 to plaster it

thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd say £250 if he supplies all the materials too.

i was once told by a very good friend of mine (hes a builder) the way he looks at a job for plastering is about 300 a room provideing thiers not to many akward areas to do but as you have said this is london prices im not to sure bout up your way, i would agree that a decent spread can do this room in a day lab and materials 250.
i also agree that onlyt 8 dots is far too little, is thier anything being fixd to the wall thats being dot and dabd i.e wall or base units? and how big is the area being dabd?
why dnt you try getting anouther price and seeing the comparison between the prices.

should I PVA the walls before Dot&Dab? or will it just go on? the lad doing the plastering says it will just go on but im not sure
Depends on the surface & conditions but using a bonding primer might be better than just PVA.
hes not a trained plasterer and taught himself
Doesn’t mean anything, many are self taught including me but am no lad :LOL: ; a look at his work will tell you all you need to know

he also said he just puts 8 dabd of adhesive on per board? I was under the impression it should be 32 for a 8 x 4 board - 1 every 1ft so 8 rows of 4 with solid line at bottom and top of walls.
Thats' worrying as what he’s proposing is not enough & I can see you’ve been having a read up. You can use strips or round dabs but what’s recommended is that the adhesive covers 20% of the board surface including additional support at board edges & skirting; ceiling is not so important.
he's charging us £300 to plaster a very small kitchen about 3M x 2.7M and ceiling - two of the walls have doors in and one big window so the total area isnt that much
If you work alone, it goes in 2 hour stints (usually per wall/ceiling) & if walls are small you can double up. Small room so probably double up on walls + reveals + the ceiling = longish day. On that basis, I’d go for a longish day - £200-£250 but I haven’t seen it.

is this a good price for a self-taught plasterer
Again, that’s irrelevant if his work is 1st rate, why should he not command a good rate for it? I do & I'm really fussy who I work for! ;)

doing it as a favour after work? hes husband of my partners friend
Now that statement is really a bit of problem for me. If he’s your good friend then fair enough, maybe he should do you a favor but why should he, are you going to (even be able to) reciprocate! If he’s the husband of your partner’s friend then, sorry, it strikes me you’re just looking to get it on the cheap. If a person has particularly valuable manual skills, you would not believe how tedious it gets when friends expect you to do things for nothing when they have nothing or any inclination to offer something in return. It's bad enough having to keep relatives happy but friend or friends of friends, forget it; personally I stopped doing that a long time ago. :rolleyes:

note: this is in Newcastle in North East - not London where prices for everything is 3 fold what it is here - I was expecting it too be no more than £200 as a good plasterer could have that done in one day if he wanted to, 1.5 days if he spent a half of one day doing ceiling first. I asked for price with him dot&dab aswell and he said extra £60 which I thought was good - but unsure of the £300 to plaster it
More or less as I said above & I don't disagree but you seem to have done your homework already. You dont have to use him, go compare & get some more quotes ;)

Sponsored Links
PVA is not needed but no harm in bonding priming the whole area, 8 dabs that is scary! :eek:
Should be using a bag of adhesive per 2 to 2 and half boards, so your looking at 4-5 bags.
Your looking at about £125 pound worth of materials top side!

this £300 price is with us supplying materials

I dont want it done "on the cheap" - I honestly think he's taking the **** considering i have done LOADS of VERY cheap work for them - fixing their many computers and laptops for £20 - £25 a go and thats not per machine thats PER visit - they bring them to me every year or when kids break them - i sort out and charge £20 for one or £25 for both - spending many hours on them too - they would get charged a £100+ if they took too PC world - so ive done them BIG favours before and I personally think the £300 without materials price is overboard for a fiddle job, very small room with little surface area and a returned favours...
I was thinking more of no more than £200 if I buy the materials but about £150 - working on plasterers ive laboured for charged £100 a day to work and the room could be done in 1.5 days - even one long day

i will post up pics of room but total surface area is small

A) ceiling is 8.1 square meters (2.7m x 3m)
B) one wall is 7.2 square meters (2.4m x 3m)
C) other wall is 7.2 square meters BUT with door on so about 5.7 square meters
D) another wall is 6.5 square meters (2.4m x 2.7m) with a door on so about 5 square meters
E) window wall is 6.5 square meters (2.4m x 2.7m) with huge window and boiler where thats not getting plastered i would say HALF at 3 square meters

total surface area = 29 square meters

some pics:

oustide of room (where 1 door is going)
akz8ci.jpg

2n72nab.jpg

vzu2za.jpg

You NEED a sparky, not a spread, lots of cables out of prescribed zones :eek: :eek:

About 2 years ago I was working near Slough and a self taught plasterer was charging £20 p/m inc materials.

It looks a more fiddly and bigger job than you led us to believe. I'd say the price is about right all in all. Maybe a little steep but not a rip off for a decent job. (rather him than me).

i agree there it does look quite a fiddley job as joe 90 said its still a bit steep but if its a top drawer job at the end then.............
bu do make sure he does more than 8 dabs per board.
as i said last night get a few more prices and see what other spreads come up with
let us know what happens

its not fiddly at all??? I assume you mean where the boiler and pipes are? well thats not getting done as its being boxed in with a cupboard unit , IM boarding the walls for him, hes not plastering where the boiler is at all , only under the window and around it - the rest is all FLAT new boards- £300 to plaster it only NOT board it too...
- im boarding it and supplying the materials and theres no plastering around boiler

so i dont see whats fiddly about it??

We have put him on hold and im gunna get some prices on it - its a tiny room, 1 day job and im not paying someone £30 per hour for 1 days fiddle over 10 hours

Well get a quote once you've boarded it then. :rolleyes:

Then the man can see what is expected of him. You might make a right pigs ear of it.

BTW who's that girl peeping through the window on the last shot?

Well get a quote once you've boarded it then. :rolleyes:

Then the man can see what is expected of him. You might make a right pigs ear of it.

BTW who's that girl peeping through the window on the last shot?

I might, hence I asked for a qoute with and without boarding it, so if i wasnt happy with first 2 boards then i could rip off what i'd done and pay someone to do it

thats a picture on the wall.... our lass got it while on holiday

P.S. he knew what he had to do, he's been and looked and i showed him where hes got too plaster so its not like he doesnt know what he gotta do so just throwing a price out

so EVERY single wall is goin to be new board no skiming on exsisting i.e bonging the chases and scrapeing that god awful artex jus stick new boards up everywhere and skim?

so EVERY single wall is goin to be new board no skiming on exsisting i.e bonging the chases and scrapeing that god awful artex jus stick new boards up everywhere and skim?

yes, but the artex isnt being scraped off? just boarding over that - dunno why you think it needs to be scraped off?

no i was asking if you was boarding over it or scrapeing it back and just skimming the wall, trust me ive bin doin this long enuff to know my job.
so just out of interest how comes your dot and dabbin all the walls why dnt you just scrape off all the crap bond the chases and skim the exsisting saves you buying so many boards and adhesive and paying for someone to put them up. if your plasterers any good hell get a good finish on practically anything. obviously you still have to board the stud walls and round the window also the more solid you r walls are the more chance of getting a nice fixing for your units youll have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back