Should I replace my boiler - vokera 20/80 flowmatic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First post on here but had site recommended for great advice!!

I have a vokera 20/80 r.s. flowmatic, there are no functional problems with it at the moment but I have been told that I should replace it as it's about 21 years old and will be quite inefficient.

I live in 100 year old terraced house with 3 meter high ceilings and I find it very hard to heat up in less than a few hours, I have got the relevant efficiencies for stopping the heat loss from the house (as much as I can with its age) but the boiler has to be on for a very long time to get the heat up once it gets there it's great but it's time for bed then and it all gets turned off.

I stared researching looking at the btu output on the radiators and it looks to me that the old single panel radiators don't produce enough heat for the size of the rooms so I am going to look at changing some to double convecting radiators which should heat the rooms up quicker and the thermostat will flick the boiler off quicker being more efficient but getting warmer quicker.

My gas bills are pretty big at the moment costing around £140 per month so the question is am I best investing in a new boiler which could be very costly or just change some if the radiators and keep the boiler as it runs perfectly?

I have no idea what to do so any help or advice would be massively appreciated

Sponsored Links
The boiler you have is a rugged beast that was (me thinks) designed by someone who loved engineering. I have attended properties where this boiler has been like a dog that has emerged from a dip in the lake, but the boiler still springs to life with a little bit of TLC. Have rescued one from a skip that is still providing faithful service 10 years on.

What kills boilers is not the age or design, it is the lack od service minimum of which should be what the manual says. Do a little more, even the most fickle model will keep you warm and washed.

The Flowmatic also needs TLC which I rarely see. It is a clockwork machine that has chugged on for 21 years and will easily do another 10 (have a few Turbos on my card that are older than the Flowmatic). IMHO, only thing that will kill it is careless feather duster service carried out by the bottle changers, or eventually, lack of spares.

So you want to go for a super efficient, nearly 100% efficient boiler. Take a step back and search fuel useage, cost of spares to keep the steamer working, ability of those that are to service/ repair you new 'peel an orange in the pocket' boiler and life expectancy of the beast (you will do well if it lasts 10 years- some say six is going cycle)

What I would suggest is get someone who has dirty finger nails, is an ENGINEER rather than a fitter to service this boiler as per the manual (I usually strip them down and rebuild so you have an overhauled boiler). Instal a programmable room thermostat, fit TRVs in rooms that are naturally heated and zone the system if you can into sleeping and living zones with in depended controls.

Thanks for the advice, so maybe it's not worth the massive expense of a new boiler.

As far as I am aware it hasn't been serviced for 15 months so will definitely look into that.

What do u think about changing the radiators is it a good idea?

Put bigger double radiators in with convectors and the house will
heat up nicely.
Old double panels give little heat out and take ages to heat the rooms up.

Job done. Leave the boiler alone just as already said these are build well and to last. Fans can go but these are relatively cheap.

Sponsored Links
A condensing boiler will be hardly 12% more efficient than yours.

Not worth the cost of replacing if you can find someone to service it.

Tony

What I would suggest is get someone who has dirty finger nails, is an ENGINEER rather than a fitter to service this boiler as per the manual

How quaint and romantic, you obviously have the luxury of spending hours lovingly rebuilding your boilers,we in the real world, get 30 mins a job, 10-12 appointments a day,servicing,repairing and generally kissing ass, one day I hope to be able to post in the way that you do.

I agree with DP & others; great boiler, built like a brick sh.t house & will last for years. It's funny how a lot of the 'washer changers' on here & other forums don't like Vokera boilers? Yet I've installed 100s, serviced 1000s & always found them a first class appliance. Very popular in the central belt of Scotland & the west coast.

Does anyone know how I can find someone to do a proper service as stated on here in the leeds area and what would theology cost be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back