Should i replace screed before laying parquet?

Z

zabriskie

I want to lay parquet flooring throughout the whole of the groundfloor of my house and i need a little advice about preparing the floor.

The current floor is concrete and originally had tiles which have now been removed. The surface under the tiles is a screed which is very uneven and bares the impression of the tiles. It's a bit rough.

I could just lay a screed or self-leveling compound over this existing surface, but my concern is that the eventual floor height when the parquet is layed will mean having to cut an inch off the bottom of all the doors!

So, what i was wondering is if it is common practice to take up the current screed and put down a new one? It's only an inch thick and seems to come off very easy, underneath is a hard concrete base.

Suggestions welcomed.

Sponsored Links
I suggest that you don't abuse people to whom you're looking for advice.

screed is a new name for me self leveling i know
if it is easy to remove take it off it will only cause problems later by crumbling .you must must have solid base or don't do the job

To crazycanuck, thanks for the advise. It confirms what i already thought, which is that the existing screed will not give a very good foundation for the new parquet. It has holes, cracks, etc, and is very old. So i'm going to replace it.

To Softus, if people don't send idiotic replies, they won't get my back up and won't get 'abuse'. DIY is a serious business and timewasters have no place on this site.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
zabriskie said:
To Softus, if people don't send idiotic replies, they won't get my back up and won't get 'abuse'. DIY is a serious business and timewasters have no place on this site.Thanks.
If you'd have spent any time on this forum before abusing me, you'd have known that I'm not the sort of person to send idiotic replies. I was merely giving you a friendly dig because what you were proposing was totally rediculous and unnecessary. Good luck with your project.

zabriskie said:
To Softus, if people don't send idiotic replies, they won't get my back up and won't get 'abuse'.
Well, you might think it's important to everyone whether or not your back is up, but it isn't. gcol is a valuable contributor on various forums, and you haven't won any friends by being rude to him. Compare and contrast the amount and quality of advice that you've been given with that given to those people who remain civil.

DIY is a serious business and timewasters have no place on this site.
Oh per-lease. :rolleyes:

Get off your horse and have a relaxing drink in the saloon.

drink.gif

:D

Hi Kev - are you in this continent, or that other continent, or are you just incontinent? :D

Yes, you are right, i don't know a thing about any of you, and you don't know a thing about me.

But when someone new comes along asking for advice, to be digged at in the first response, regardless of how friendly the dig was, is slightly unfair, don't you think.

Like most message boards, and this site is no different, you get a group of regulars whose life exists within these small walls, it's very cliquey, self-protective and hostile to outsiders. Which is the impression you all give me.

And as for the original question, so far i have sought the opinion of quite a few people and most think the screed needs to come up. So...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back