Should my carpet fitter be wearing a mask?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ordered a carpet a few weeks ago which included fitting and the fitter phoned up today to arrange fitting. Mrs Mottie took the call and she asked whether he would be wearing a mask. He replied "Nah, cos I won’t be able to breathe will I, just open the windows". Only reason Mrs Mottie asked was that her sister had a carpet fitted a while ago and said how good the fitters were - asked them to sit outside and wore masks and shoe covers.

I’m not sure I want someone with that attitude in my house and I’ve a good mind to get onto the store and ask for another fitter or cancel the sale. Am I overreacting or is mask wearing a requirement amongst carpet fitters in domestic settings?

Sponsored Links
I guess it's up to you who you allow in your house but at work we don't bother with face coverings unless we are within 2 metres of each other.
If I am on my own I take it off/ pull it under my chin.
If I cross the corridor to go to the loo, I wear one.
If someone approaches my office I wear one.
If I go down the corridors (because someone could come the other way) I wear one.
If I am in someone else's space and am 2 metres apart I might take mine off.

Do you sit and watch the carpet fitter? Or go elsewhere and occasionally offer a drink?

COVID-19 Information for Customers

We’ve been working hard to ensure we can continue to serve our customers safely, and with the usual friendly and efficient Carpetright service you have come to expect. In line with government guidelines we are gradually lifting some of the restrictions on our stores and services.

We are now able to arrange fitting via our third-party fitting teams nationwide, alongside resuming delivery and collection services from selected stores. Below you will find full details of the measures we have put in place to ensure installations can be completed safely both for fitting teams and your families.

Best wishes,

The Carpetright Team

We have adapted our services across our store and warehouse network as follows:

• The majority of stores in England are now open for customers with the opportunity to talk to someone in store or pre-book appointments and collections, please check our website for further details https://www.carpetright.co.uk/store/
  • Our website and Telesales teams continue to trade normally, and our online consultation team is available to discuss your flooring needs over the phone. Please see our website for more details or to book an appointment.

We have adapted some of our store operating practices as follows:

• The majority of our stores are open for customers with the opportunity to talk to someone in store or pre-book appointments
  • Social distancing rules will be rigorously adhered to and there will be clear signage in store to help facilitate this
  • We ask that all customers adhere to the social distancing rules in stores, maintaining a 2-metre gap at all times. We have added signage to help make this clear
  • We will be restricting the number of customers entering the store to ensure social distancing is possible
  • Strict hygiene regimes are in place with regular cleaning protocols for surfaces and equipment using disinfectant wipes and hand sanitisers
  • We ask that all customers use the provided hand sanitisers both upon entering and before leaving the store
  • Face masks, face shields and gloves have been supplied to all stores for use by our colleagues
  • Safety guards at cash desks have been installed in stores for added protection for customers and colleagues
  • To minimise the handling of cash our store colleagues will recommend that you pay by credit or debit card. Completion of interest free credit applications at home is requested to minimise the use of keyboards
  • Collections from the store must be arranged in advance
  • Our Store Managers are empowered to make local decisions to ensure the safety of both you and our colleagues is not compromised

We have been working with our third-party fitters to adapt practices as follows:

• The fitter will call ahead of a booked appointment to ensure that all appropriate protective measures are in place.
  • The fitter will be asked to avoid close contact with our customers and to maintain the social distancing rules. You may be asked to vacate the room where the floor is being fitted. To minimise unnecessary contact, we request that all internal doors along the journey to the fitting area(s) are left open.
  • We ask that all flooring, in the area to be fitted, is uplifted and removed along with all furnishings unless this has been agreed in advance of the appointment.
  • Where possible, we’d be grateful if you could increase ventilation in the area where the work is being done. For example, opening any windows whilst the fitting work is being completed.
  • Strict hygiene regimes are in place with regular cleaning protocols for surfaces and equipment using disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizers.
  • The fitter may choose to wear varying types of PPE during their visit and the nature of this will be determined by the individual fitter’s preferences. If you have a requirement for the fitter allocated to you to take particular precautions, please let us know before the day of fitting so that we can confirm this with your fitter in advance
  • The fitter will ask you to inspect the finished job but will not accompany you in order to maintain social distancing.
  • To minimise the handling of cash, the fitters should offer you the ability to pay for your fitting by debit or credit card, or via a bank transfer.
  • The fitter is empowered to make local decisions to abandon a visit if they feel there is any compromise to their personal safety.

Key Points

1. The fitter will call before they visit and run through a few checks with you.
  2. The fitter will observe the social distancing guidelines at all times and we’d ask you to do the same.
  3. We ask for the area being fitted to be clear of all existing flooring and furnishings unless this has been agreed in advance

Thanks. Just worried that he might be breathing or coughing all over it. A quick look online led me to the carpet right site and the fact that he’s phoned up and not even bothered to ask whether anyone is isolating sort of says to me that they may not be one of the most Covid aware fitters around. AFAIK, he’s a subbie, not a store employee.

I also came to this, the opposite to what the fitter said, which says ppe will be worn by fitters otherwise the fitters will be removed from your premises immediately. https://www.michael-john.co.uk/hidden-news/item/144-coronavirus-fitting-precautions-and-measures

Just wondering if because it’s a free fitting, the fitter they subbed it out to is from the cheaper end of the carpet fitting fraternity and a bit lax with his standards?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Imagine the billions of bacteria and viruses this chap will leave in your house...
You'll have to pay an exterminator to live there again.

Thanks. Just worried that he might be breathing or coughing all over it. A quick look online led me to the carpet right site and the fact that he’s phoned up and not even bothered to ask whether anyone is isolating sort of says to me that they may not be one of the most Covid aware fitters around. AFAIK, he’s a subbie, not a store employee.

I also came to this, the opposite to what the fitter said, which says ppe will be worn by fitters otherwise the fitters will be removed from your premises immediately. https://www.michael-john.co.uk/hidden-news/item/144-coronavirus-fitting-precautions-and-measures

Just wondering if because it’s a free fitting, the fitter they subbed it out to is from the cheaper end of the carpet fitting fraternity and a bit lax with his standards?

I think the attitude would put me off.

I personally don't think fitting a carpet would be much fun wearing a mask, but any decent tradesman would discuss the options with the client.

I think if it was me, I'd open all the windows and keep out of the room or house while they are working, then don't back in for a few hours.

You also need to clean door handles etc afterwards.

It's so weird having to think of all this stuff, its such an invisible thing with currently very low infections rates.....but all the same, the effort of taking simple infection control procedures, it's silly not to.

The boss has spoken! She has to go up to the department store in the week and pay the balance and she’s going to tell them that he's not fitting our carpet so they can get another fitter and she doesn’t mind if we have to wait longer. She said thinking about it afterwards, apart from what he said, it was the manner in which he said it - as if she was asking a stupid and unreasonable question and she just didn’t like his attitude. Mind you, she often says that about me....:whistle:

Why don’t you just wait till next year when there is a vaccine out to have your carpet done ?

Always better to go to a smaller local carpet shop and meet the owner and the fitters who will be working in your home.

Will MrsMottie also be wearing a mask when interacting with the fitters?

It’s incredibly hot and sweaty job laying carpet , wearing a mask would be unbearable and totally unnecessary.

Will MrsMottie also be wearing a mask when interacting with the fitters?
No, she'll be at work, just I'll be there. I think she’s concerned because I’m over 60 and have an illness so considered to be in the vulnerable group. Of course I’ll be wearing a mask to protect him/them when they come into my house, why wouldn’t I? I was required to wear a mask when I was buying it, why shouldn’t they be required to wear one when they are fitting it?

Last edited:
If it helps, I'm diabetic and 60.
I am going to work 5 days a week at the moment but will shift to one day working from home at some point. Working alone I don't see the need for a mask but frequent hand sanitiser is a good idea.

If it was me, I'd insist on the fitter wearing a mask in the hall/ toilet etc, leave them alone in the room to fit, and expect them to leave the room if you want to inspect. If you have a downstairs toilet, allocate that?
I would leave sugar, tea, kettle and milk on a try for him. A pack of biscuits if you feel generous.
Just stay out of their way

It’s incredibly hot and sweaty job laying carpet , wearing a mask would be unbearable and totally unnecessary.
I'm not sure about that. Only reason she asked was that her sister had a carpet fitted a few weeks ago and didn’t consider it. The fitters phoned beforehand to check nobody would be isolating or shielding, insisted they stayed out in the garden and wore masks at all times and that was when we were having those hot days. It wasn’t unbearable or unnecessary for them.

Obviously these companies don’t think so. If they are prepared to ensure that their fitters wear face coverings, it proves that it is necessary as well as bearable.

Tapi.co.uk
What safety measures have you taken to ensure a visit from a fitter is safe for me and my family?
We have issued all fitters with comprehensive instructions to ensure safe practices are maintained throughout the fitting process.

Before the visit, your fitter will call to confirm the appointment and outline the protocol they will follow during their visit. Please let the fitter know if anyone in your property is self-isolating or showing any flu- or cold-like symptoms. Upon arrival your fitter will be wearing PPE (face shield, mask, gloves and overshoes) and will use hand sanitiser. You will need to adhere to the social distancing rule of 2m, and we ask that you leave the room while the fitter is working.

Dctuk.com
https://www.dctuk.com/blog/corona-virus-precautions

United carpets and beds
https://www.unitedcarpetsandbeds.com/covid-19-fitting-guidelines-for-customers

Michael-John.co.uk
https://www.michael-john.co.uk/hidden-news/item/144-coronavirus-fitting-precautions-and-measures

Last edited:
I don't see the problem, if you want them to wear a mask then insist on it, it's your money, if they don't like it tough **** or they can do one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back