Show me your rack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just attempted to tidy up the skip on wheels I call my van.

Gave up halfway through and just threw it all back in.

Looking for some inspiration from other people's vans!

I've got dispatch (2 sliding doors).

So come on, show me your rack.

(cover your eyes)....

[/img]

Sponsored Links
This was covered a while ago but I think probably in the Combustion Chamber. How the hell have you managed to get a Dispatch looking that full of stuff!? I see yours is a Mk2, mine's a Mk1 which I think is probably a bit smaller inside, this is what I've done with it...
P1000264.jpg

P1000263.jpg

P1000262.jpg

P1000261.jpg

P1000260.jpg

P1000265.jpg

I did list my entire inventory on the last topic, will do again if you're interested, I have pretty much everything in here I ever need though, don't like to be without any tools at all if I can help it. Since taking the pics I've removed the heater (it's now summer) and added a Dyson DC26i to the floor space but everything else is the same I think

ahh thats what I'm after muggles!

I do pub maintenance, and I generally get fed all the plumbing work but I also do everything from paving to painting and decorating, hence the pots of paint / sacks of mortar etc...

How do you go about securing the racking? As you can see from my pic I've just used a couple of 4x4 posts and "secured" the shelves to the ply lining. It's starting to come away though...

Nice Nilfisk wetvac btw :LOL: How are you finding it ?(just traded in my sh!tty travis perkins wetvac for the nilfisk)

How come those multicoloured tubs you have don't fall out?

I wouldn't mind an inventory if it's just a case of copy and pasting it (don't bother if you have to write it all out)

Sponsored Links
ahh thats what I'm after muggles!

I do pub maintenance, and I generally get fed all the plumbing work but I also do everything from paving to painting and decorating, hence the pots of paint / sacks of mortar etc...

How do you go about securing the racking? As you can see from my pic I've just used a couple of 4x4 posts and "secured" the shelves to the ply lining. It's starting to come away though...

Nice Nilfisk wetvac btw :LOL: How are you finding it ?(just traded in my **** travis perkins wetvac for the nilfisk)

How come those multicoloured tubs you have don't fall out?

I wouldn't mind an inventory if it's just a case of copy and pasting it (don't bother if you have to write it all out)

I've glued and screwed mine to the ply lining and also to the van in places where it's double-skinned steel. The glue helps a lot with stopping it pulling out, either use wood glue or Sticks Like Sh¡t. Mine's mainly made of 2×2, plywood and four inch screws.

The Nilfisk is great, got a bit noisy when I got some water in the motor once and you'll find that the switch will give out after a while, but it's just the rockers inside that seem to dislodge, take the cover off and it's an easy DIY fix. Fantastic vac though, very happy with it.

The tubs don't fall out because there's a small lip about quarter of an inch high on the front of all the shelves, and the ones sitting on top sit slightly inside the lids. You can see the lip on the top shelf of the passenger side sliding door shelves, this is on all the shelves inside the main part of the van.

Here's my inventory:
Main tool box
Soldering box
Tool box for lesser used tools
Small box of cores
Dust sheet box
Immersion box spanner
Hosepipe
Lead light
Foot pump
Hand saws
2' level
4' level
6' level
Dustpan & Brush
A few empty buckets and drip trays
Making-good bucket
Rubble bags
PPE box
Clip boxes (15, 15 double & 22, plus boxes for their spacers, 10, 15 & 22 nail clips)
Rustbuster C/H Dosing Vessel
Large o-ring box
Filler
Plumbers Mait
Various tapes
Sealants/caulk box
Silicone gun
Rubber mallet
Gas powered soldering iron with accessories, in a box
Two boxes of random bits
Box of assorted holesaws 20-160mm
Oil servicing box
Electric fan heater
110v extension lead
1¼" fittings box inc a couple of traps
Compression box
Consumables box (spare flux/solder/L55 etc etc)
Small-bore fittings box, also has fuses, nylon washers, tap revivers and common small-size boiler spares)
15mm end feed box
22mm end feed box
Repair boxes 1 - 4 (those A5-sized ones you get in most merchants)
3' Crowbar
Cement mixing paddle
Manometer
Inhibitor
Cleaner
Freeze kit
Short steps (get me up about a metre)
Bungees
Leak detector/air duster/other gas work bits
Dyson DC26i (VERY useful compact vac for servicing work and light cleaning)
Testo analyser (not pictured as it was post-photos)
Box for 1½" fittings, also contains a few 2", a couple of float valves and a siphon
5.0 kva transformer
Jigsaw
36v SDS+
36v Combi
4.5" angle grinder
Screwbox
Cordless pipe cutter (don't use it much but useful on big installs)
4kg SDS+
240v extension lead
Kettle
Gas-powered kettle (hey, there's not always power on site...)
Teabags/water/milk
Wet'n'dry vac
Compressor
Circular saw
Bosch GOP in L-Boxx
10.8v screwdriver, torch & impact screwdriver
Servicing toolkit
Jaw Dropper tap spanners
Drill bit box
Box of wood chisels
Holesaw kit (another one!)
Stopcock key
Tub of Big Wipes
Laptop
Full LED interior lighting so I can see it all in the dark

Any more questions feel free to ask!

do you keep your laptop in a security case/ how do you prevent dust an the like ruining it, Have just bought a laptop for the van but been to scared to carry it round yet!

thanks for all that.

where do you keep your offcuts of waste pipe / copper?

you say you've got a soldering "box"...do you just chuck all of your soldering gear into your toolbag when you need it? I'd love to have a little soldering bag that will fit my torch / solder / flux etc in that I can grab when needs be.

looks like i'll be ripping everything out this weekend! :rolleyes: admittedly I need to be less of a cleptomaniac, but the amount of times I've managed to salvage parts from a semi knackered flushvalve that I've found down the back of the racking etc :LOL:

do you keep your laptop in a security case/ how do you prevent dust an the like ruining it, Have just bought a laptop for the van but been to scared to carry it round yet!

I keep my laptop in my rucksack in the front with me...I bought a CCTV snake camera from Maplins the other day for forty notes, plugs straight into the laptop - great for finding leaks in voids ;)

Laptop sits in the cab in a standard bag, I don't generally work in areas where the van is likely to get broken into, TomTom is permanently attached to my windscreen too, not a problem around here. I keep it away from dusty areas, only really comes out as a reference tool for servicing/maintenance/breakdowns currently.

Offcuts/scrap go in a bucket and get taken out every evening. Short lengths of pipe go where there is one in the picture - on the floor held in place by my box of dust sheets.

My soldering box contains a bottle of gas, two torches, spray bottle, damp rags, tub of flux, roll of solder, 15/22/28 pipeslices, heatproof mats, a tub of jet blue and a roll of Loctite 55, I just carry the box in when I need to do any soldering

must be great to work in a area where you can leave a tom tom on view and not worry about it, round here they'd smash the side window while you watch them and they'd take it, if you chase them, they'll have mates waitin round the corner ,

Thats the trouble in saarf London too, it would be gone in the blink of an eye

Use iphone now for satnav, copilot is great and you take it away with you as it's ure phone so you don't forget

Will take a few photo of the back of the van when I've put all the stuff back, had a massive clearout (Slow times :cry: )

nice to see a neat working/storage enviroment with the usual bits to hand.
also nice to see a kettle but did i miss the minature fridge wired up to vans power supply.
here in london the mayor has introduced a new rule so any van over 10 years is probaly not permitted into central area,area is basically the m25 inter ring.so probaly a lot of vans will be available readily fitted for disposal soon.
anyway its good to see some pride in presentation. tidy = more profit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back