SHOWER and SWITCH NOT WORKING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The shower stopped working and the 45A switch was stuck on on. Opened up and found :

2 red wires fixed O.k (live

2 black wires - top one o.k. - bottom one fixed in unit but wire visible through the black insulating plastic.

2 earth wires - not fixed to unit - in fact loose.

I need advice - should I replace the whole shower switch or has there been a burn out ?

Also, I am assuming the Earth wires are important ???

Any help much appreciated :?:

Sponsored Links
the earth wires are VERY important. Whoever fitted this ought to be strung up. Without earth wires, if any fault occurs in the shower unit, the current will travel through YOU, rather than the earth wire. Especially as you are naked and wet.

We have heard this about shower switches before - the neutral burns out first. Several theories as to why. What you need to do is cut back the cable until you get to an undamaged bit, then use that and re-terminate in a NEW switch - the heat probably welded the switch contacts shut.

What rating is the shower? and what size is the cable? and what rating is the protective device (fuse / MCB)?

I would suggest you get an electrician to fit an RCD on the shower circuit if there isn't already one there, and possible have a PIR report done (cost about £150). This will tell you the condition of the rest of the instalation.

Decided to take your advice and get a professional in as I am a bit concerned that whoever fitted it didn't do a good job and there maybe other issues that need to be addressed.

Thanks, saved me :) from killing myself !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back