shower cable under floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im putting a new cable in for my shower. the old one was run through the wall cavity into the loft but i'm thinking of running the new one under the floor boards because its a much easier and shorter run.

is there any reason I cant do this? is it against regulations or anything? it will be running pretty close to central heating pipes, will that matter?

its just confused me as to why the previous run was put in the way it was when it would have been much easier to go under the floor unless theres a safety reason for this?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cables can run under floors - all mine do.

The only thing to remember is that it needs to get to the loft for the pull cord isolation switch. However, dont run the new cable up a cavity - this is bad practise.

Make sure it doesnt TOUCH heating pipes. Close is ok though. If you want, buy some armaflex for the pipes and insulate them.

If running across joists, drill holes for the cable - dont run in notches, even if notches are already there. Drill halfway down the joist.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part p

using notches is against the regs..

the cable must be 50mm from the top and bottom of the joist.. ( or in the middle if you've only got 100mm joists, but that's the least of your worries if you do.. ).

if you happen to have 50mm deep notches then I guess you could use them, but again, you've more to worry about than cable placement if you've got 50mm deep notches out of your joists..

Sponsored Links
ok I'll give you that one :) but that was info left out of holmslaws post..
your average DIYer isn't going to know about those or have any in his toolbox.. I don't think I've ever seen them for sale at B&Q and the likes either.. but then again I don't look that often..

as I added.. I tend to use 3mm steel plate held in place with some clout nails (at the edge)... got a mate who is a fabricator and I can get scrap!

do they need to be???

they'll stop a nail or screw though (unless you hit them in with a sledge hammer)

dont run in notches, even if notches are already there.

FFS when are going to stop talking bollerx?

using notches is against the regs..

very-angry-1.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back