shower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my father has managed to put a nail through the shower cable.

it is a 6mm cable which is chased into brickwork, therefore is not possible to replace, nor is it in a position where i can put a joint box on the wall.

is it ok to crimp such a high rated cable, pending i tape it up and use heat shrink tubing?

Sponsored Links
You should pull out 4" and then do 2 x crimps (1 x either end) for each core.

Tape is absoutely not suitable. If your good with a solder gun that (once sleeved) is an alternative to crimps. When soldering, tie the bare cable ends together with some fine strand wire to hold the ends together.

Yes - you would need to use Yellow, insulated crimps for 6mm and a blue one for the earth conductor. You will need the proper rachet crimp tool, not one of those ones used for car connectors.
The 6mm cable will be carrying a high current and the connection must be very well made.

Don't use tape! Heat shrink sleeving is what is needed.

Sponsored Links
not at all, although the kitchen was rewired and moved around before they moved in(mid 90s), so i think they may have been the odd short cut being taken when they redid the kitchen.

it was less than 50mm from surface and 'protected' by steel capping.

As everybody here says when the subject comes up, steel capping does not provide mechanical protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back