Shower circuit to commando outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I've got an unused 4mm shower circuit. It is currently switched off at the consumer unit and the shower switch was removed and skimmed over many years ago.

Can I excavate the wiring and extend it to the outside of my house where I want to install a 32a commando outlet?

Are there any specifics I need to consider to get my 32a commando outlet installed?

Thanks in advance

CF

Sponsored Links
As above, if for a EV charger it changes things somewhat, it would probably be preferable to install a proper EVSE rather than a socket for a mode 2 charger, but if thats what you require it can likely be done, but there are important considerations to take into account.

Assuming its for a 32A for general purposes note:

Will the cable and joint box be in pescribed zone when done?, it might be best to get a new isolator to refit on box after clearing it out and go through the back of that.
Is the cirucit on an RCD at present?
Unshuttered sockets arn't allowed in domestic premises, but most people would be happy with an interlocked type and declaring it as a deviation.
If you plan to use big welders or compressors, then the DNO may object to that on a domestic supply.
Is the existing point located anywhere near where it needs to be, showers are usually at first floor level, external sockets, not so often, a new cirucit might be easier?

Sponsored Links
I have considered doing the same myself, a 32 amp outlet would be handy for all sorts of equipment, which clearly includes EV charging.

I have no intention of getting an EV car, I do have EV's two e-bikes and a mobility scooter, but the main consideration when using any supply outside is how will it be earthed, and what risks are there for earth bonding voltage to present a danger?

In the main out door equipment is class II, i.e. it is not bonded to the home's earth system, we are required to run an earth to any outlet, but since not used, it does not really matter if the supply is TN-C-S or TN-S or TT there is no real danger, however larger equipment like welding sets, patio heaters, compressors, and EV cars are often class I so then we need to consider what is safe.

Although a RCD will isolate the lives, both line and neutral, it does not normally switch the earth, within a building no real problem, so a 32 amp commando socket in the garage is not really a problem, all Extraneous-conductive-parts should be bonded, but out doors this is not the case.

So if the supply is TT I see no problem, but if TN-C-S then it needs a risk assessment to be made, even the type of RCD matters, with EV charge points may need to be type B, although most have a built in 6 mA DC detection and disconnection device so can work on a type A RCD.

Even with a 13 amp supply outside we have to now question is this safe when it may be used for an EV or patio heater which is class I, we see these upload_2022-4-23_22-17-18.png for sale as mode 2 charging points, which are only really suitable with a TT supply, but there is nothing to advise this is the case from the advert.

In Wales fitting an outside socket is reportable to LABC, but not in England.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back