Shower drain screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Around 2 weeks ago, our en suite shower was blocking. So...

Seeing there was simply a screw to the drain, I thought it would be easy enough to undo and get to the blockage...

The screw made a crack sound when i undid it. It doesn't come out...and it doesn't go back in. The drain cover is loosened and raises about 1cm. But i can't lift it far enough to get to the root problem

Fast forward two weeks and I've noticed the ceiling below has a dripping leak so obviously my actions are the cause of this. It looks like the seal is not being connected to the base of the shower any more.

What i want to know is how do i proceed? Should I saw the top of the screw off? Looks like brass to me. Or is there a way of getting the damn thing to bit again.

Help!!

I am a wally.

Sponsored Links
That central screw fits through the drain rose and into the plastic trap beneath. Tightening the screw holds the trap and rose together.
Either way it won't now reconnect due to the plastic below having been cracked (quite likely) or the trap has come free from the underside of the shower tray.
Now - you have to expose that trap, I'm afraid.....either from the side or below the tray and be prepared to renew it.
John :)

Thanks for confirming my worst fears .

I've called a local plumber :evil: . Wish I'd never undone the blasted thing! :oops:

Live and learn i guess. :(

Ok Update... :)

After having my friendly local plumber come round we discussed various solutions to the problem. As you said - getting to the issue by either below, above or the side. So after contemplating either new tiles on the floor or make a nice big hole in the ceiling I decided to investigate a little further myself... :LOL:

Using a junior hacksaw blade, I managed to remove the drain cover, exposing the infamous screw :evil: and the pipe and mounted fixing. It's quite a simple setup with the screw literally 'pulling' up the whole pipe and drain trap as it winds into the thread.

After removing much hair (The wife has long hair that get's tangled in everything!! Hoovers, showers...) and scum... and wiggling and turning....and removing more hair and scum with pliers and a stanley knife, I've managed to get the damn thing out! YES! The damn thread was knackered which explains the constant turning.

And Yes the housing where the screw goes into has broken on one side, but importantly the centre section where the thread lives appears to be intact...

My plan is to buy another new shiney screw, a new drain plate (As i sawed the other one inhalf to gain access) and pray that he whole thing goes back together again...water tight. I will try and tap the thread in the housing as well to clear this and make sure that that too is also not knackered! :rolleyes:

My concern is all of the old sealant around the top of the pipe - where it connects with the shower basin. I'm planning on removing as much of the old sealant as possible and then will apply a generous lining of silicon sealant (I've got some in the garage which is for enginering gasket marrine applications) so will this be good enough? The rubber O-Ring looks in good shape.

I hope I get away with this one...it will be a Great Escape if i do... :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Errr right - we all love a tryer!
Is the shower trap still stuck to the underneath of the tray? My guess is that it isn't and you need to apply a good smear of silicone sealant here, and likewise when the rose is clamped down to the tray from above. Clean all of the old stuff away, of course.
Use the silicone that smells of vinegar - B&Q standard stuff is fine.
Appreciate the plastic bit that snapped previously is weak due to age, so as we say, 'gan canny' when you tighten up the new screw!
Be lucky!

Hi, the shower trap has dropped a little and is relying on the rose and drain cover to bring it back to create the seal so yes some sealant is going to be required.

What i'm having difficulty with is sourcing a new 3 Inch brass screw. Tried Gibbs and Dandy today and a local plumbing place but no luck yet.

Yes I'm going to be very careful tightening it back up again....

Keep everything crossed and I will report back when It's done...and hopefully water tight! Worth a try.... :D

I guess finding a suitable screw will be a real headache, if there's nothing suitable in the odds and ends box.....
The thread could be almost anything, but an electrical outlet could be worth a try.
It would be worth buying a new trap just for the screw, if you can find such a thing!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Go with Burnermans suggestion, get a new trap and fittings trying to make do could turn out to be a false economy.

Result!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After shopping around for a stainless steel replacement screw with no luck...I decided to ask my father if he could make one. Luckily he had some spare material around and was able to turn it down and dye a beautiful 3 inch screw fit for the job. He's also made a new plate (the old one I had to cut to get off).

After carefully siliconing the pipe - I had to use a bit of wood as a temporary piece so I could get the silicone all around the leading edges and smooth by finger - I left it over night, carefully removed the wood and screw and then placed the new and improved drain cover and screw in place with plenty of grease on the thread!!.... Perfect fit.

Acid test = shower....no leaks!!!

Thanks for the advice gents! :D

Phew that saved me a bit of hassle and money! :cool:

I hope you smeared the screw thread with a big blob of the heaviest grease you can find -To stop the entry of water and hence corrosion.
Frank

That's handy to have someone that can do that.

People with skills and know how to make things from nothing are few and far between unfortunately.

One of my old customers who is sadly no longer with us was amazing at all that. He made a model train and cut all the pieces of metal and made every screw himself using old techniques. The detail was astounding. I always wanted to make him an offer to buy it from him but never did and regret not having bought at is there's not many people that could do that nowadays.

It was my father and yes i'm very lucky. He's old school engineering and some of the things he's made from solid bits of metal really do amaze me.

Yes a nice blob of heavy grease was added and I will be reapplying regularly to minimize corrosion.

I think these kinds of skills are lost in the modern generation. I know my way around a spreadsheet, but making stuff out of material is way cooler! I recall when he made a miniature working engine with moving pistons and crankshaft all out of solid aluminium. Just to demonstrate how a combustion engine works. it could easily fit between finger and thumb. I was in awe. Just wished these kinds of skills were appreciated more in our modern world.

It was my father and yes i'm very lucky. He's old school engineering and some of the things he's made from solid bits of metal really do amaze me.

Yes a nice blob of heavy grease was added and I will be reapplying regularly to minimize corrosion.

I think these kinds of skills are lost in the modern generation. I know my way around a spreadsheet, but making stuff out of material is way cooler! I recall when he made a miniature working engine with moving pistons and crankshaft all out of solid aluminium. Just to demonstrate how a combustion engine works. it could easily fit between finger and thumb. I was in awe. Just wished these kinds of skills were appreciated more in our modern world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back