Shower Elbow Joint Leak :o(

I bought some good quality Elbows and sealed them with Loctite 55...and one of the elbows is leaking again...I'm so frustrated as I have tried everything and it doesn't take a professional to wrap some tape around a thread, following the instructions to the letter.

I think the problem relates to the elbow screwing into the valve and think that the only way to solve this is to hacksaw some thread off the elbow so as to screw it in fully up to the valve body, what do you think? Alternatively use a coupler that I can screw fully in first, then screw the elbow into that.

Sponsored Links
I'll stick my neck out on this...........
If I were using ptfe on the elbow I'd put about 22 wraps on happily. Maybe a few more or less to end up in the right position.
If I were using locate 55 (which I do) I'd wind it in the valley of the threads first, then go over all that at least twice again quite happily.
Better to have too much and better for it to be tight then leak IMO.

it doesn't take a professional to wrap some tape around a thread

You sure......?

Joking aside. Load the thing with PTFE!

I have various options now...

- Loctite 55 tape
- Standard PFTE
- Loctite Joint Sealer
- LS-X Jointing Compound

Which of the above would be most suitable for this application? In my mind, jointing compound would be better than tape as it would entirely cover every potential gap through which water can escape?

Regarding the Loctite 55, I used the manufacturers recommendation as per the number of wraps but can, as you suggest, load a bunch more rotations on, but would appreciate a view if any of the above is better?

Sponsored Links
All finished finally, in the end I used Loctite 55 and wound excess layers forming a proper seal, the shower is now in and fitted and working beautifully! After sealing I gave it 3 weeks before fitting the front cover over the hole for access to ensure there weren't any leaks :D

Very pleased and thanks for those that helped!!

p.s. I did all labour in this bathroom, floor, tiling, electrics, plumbing, drainage...just over 2 months work in the evenings!

How it looked when I started...

How it looks now...

Holy naff bath panel lighting Batman. :LOL:

Rather than messing around for weeks I would probably have considered brazing the elbows onto the body of the shower.

Congrats - that bathroom looks better than some I have seen completed by supposed professionals ;)

Nice job!

Bet those mosaic border tiles took a little bit of packing out to get level with the main tiles!

Congrats - that bathroom looks better than some I have seen completed by supposed professionals ;)

Nice job!

Bet those mosaic border tiles took a little bit of packing out to get level with the main tiles!

Thanks very much mate, I learnt a lot doing it! The mosaic was a nightmare but patience got me there in the end :) really nice to get such positive feedback!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back