Shower electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the electrix shower for a mixer, what shall i do with the electric cable which was used to connect the shower? how do I make it safe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
For starters: Disconnect it at the CU? Have a look on your CU and see if there's a breaker marked shower.

Yes i know which one it is on the CU - but wondered to I u a terminator box or something? rather than have the wire loose in the stud wall

If it will be too much hassle to pull it out, just leave it be, stick a label on it saying "dead shower feed" or something. There's probably a proper way of doing it. If so someone will be along soon and berate me for putting your life at risk. I think it will be ok though.

Sponsored Links
Putting the ends in choc block won't hurt. Consider that, some time in the future, somebody will come along to fix a fault. They'll see the loose cable in the CU and think "A wire fallen out. That must be it!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Safest way it to move the shower live core from the breaker, and put it into the earthing terminal bar in the consumer unit, this method prepares the cable for future earth testing, if the cable is ever reused.

Label the consumer unit accordingly to alert future users.

One of the first tests when commissioning a circuit, is to link live and earth at the consumer unit and measure R1+R2 to prove the earthing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back