shower extractor fan and light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help
In planning stage of new bathroom. Is it safe to wire a shower fan and light to the on/off pull switch that operates a 9.5 kw electric shower? The later will use 10mm cable with relevant RCD & MCB. I don't particularly want to operate the light/fan off the general light switch as this means the unit will come on regardless of whether the shower is in use or not.

Sponsored Links
bobp said:
Help
Is it safe to wire a shower fan and light to the on/off pull switch that operates a 9.5 kw electric shower?

NO

[1] A 40 amp MCB protecting a lighting circuit

[2] even if you fuse down to 5 amp for the lighting circuit there WILL be a time when you need the light ON and the shower ISOLATED for some reason.

[3] If something goes wrong and the shower trips the RCD then the light goes out. Nasty if the RCD was tripped when an accident happened.

Many thanks, there will be other lights in the bathroom so no problem there. Are you saying that if I fit a 5 amp in line fuse it will be OK to connect to the shower ceiling switch?

Sponsored Links
I am not sure about that as it depends if an FCU is allowable between a 40 amp circuit and a 5 amp circuit.

Can the FCU safely withstand a 40 amp internal fault on its input side (should its internals fail) in the time it takes for the 40 amp MCB to operate ? I don't know the answer to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back