Shower extractor light replaced but not working - best next steps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ... hopefully this is an easy one.
I have a shower extractor with 12v light fitting above the shower. The bulb recently went so I replaced it, but the replacement didn’t work (I assume the bulb is okay). I tried to get a multimeter to test and appeared to get no voltage but it was tricky to get the probes parallel into the holes so I’m not 100% if it was an accurate reading.

so...now I need to try something different. Is the best bet to replace the transformer? If this is the case how would I get to it? Is it a case of crawling through the loft space or am I likely to gain access through the extractor hole? Loft access isn’t easy so if I’m wondering if there’s something else to try first. I suppose I should check whether there’s something else I should check before the transformer too?

pic attached for reference - I didn’t install it so I’m unsure of the brand.

thanks in advance!

C4D142D6-7D00-4A2D-93CC-B2A336B1DC73.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Check that you have the correct bulb. Tell us exactly what voltage AC or DC .

Check that you have the correct bulb. Tell us exactly what voltage AC or DC .
12v MR16 5w ... it doesn’t specify AC/Dc on the box. But I think it says 50/60hz on the bulb so I guess it could be AC! I assumed it was DC because it said 12V with no other detail specified.

Do you have the old bulb to compare ?
The fitting states 12 v DC. You have a 12 v AC bulb .

Sponsored Links
I would draw your attention to the specifications " check the suitability of your transformer ". The Q&A section Can be answered by anyone ,and isn't always correct.
Does the fan work ?

I would draw your attention to the specifications " check the suitability of your transformer ". The Q&A section Can be answered by anyone ,and isn't always correct.
Does the fan work ?
The fan is fine. I assume the Q&A is correct because the response is from the manufacturer, Aurora. Unless the transformer can’t cope with a 5W bulb (I now notice that the spec says 3W...but I did choose this bulb because it was a similar spec to the old one, so I assumed it would be fine).

The luminaire specifies a 12V "Lamp type MR-16 LED 3W". Can't you get one?
Access to the LED driver (which may or may not be able to handle 5W) might be a matter of just pulling the luminaire downwards.

Last edited:
The luminaire specifies a 12V "Lamp type MR-16 LED 3W". Can't you get one?
Access to the LED driver (which may or may not be able to handle 5W) might be a matter of just pulling the luminaire downwards.
I’m pretty sure I went to match the wattage of the bulb I was replacing, but maybe I didn’t manage (it was a few weeks ago now). 3W seem relatively uncommon but I guess I’ll give one a go to see before taking the ceiling unit apart. Seems odd to me to have a transformer with such a low rating to be honest.

If it’s not the Transformer , it’ll be the Lampholder , these tend to corrode when in a Bathroom environment, you may get lucky and be able to pull the Unit down from the Ceiling to access the Transformer etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back