Shower for Hard Water area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice? I'm wanting to get a new powerful electric shower as my current one lacks pressure and gets blocked up quite easily (we live in a hard water area).

I know there are lots of different types of showers, but does anyone have experience of solving this problem? What brand / model would be best? I don't mind spending more money if it means I have a shower that works.

if anyone could help that would be great!

Thanks

kim x

Sponsored Links
I would suggest admin move this to the plumbers section.

Rather than the shower type you need to consider the water quality and how to stop the chalk / lime build up.

Some choices:

Electrically heated shower - low flow rates, use vast amounts of electricity, fail often due to scale and would only be fitted if that was the only possible option. The only advantage is they are usually cheaper than the other types.

Stored hot & cold water to mixer shower - obviously you need the stored hot and cold water already, and flow/pressure is likely to be low unless your bathroom is on the ground floor.

Stored hot & cold water to pumped power shower - again the stored hot/cold is required, but flow rates and pressure can be as high as you want. The pump will make a noise, so that might be a problem depending on where the pump is located and when the shower is used.

Mains pressure hot & cold into mixer shower - you will need the appropriate mains pressure cylinder (Megaflow or similar), and the incoming water supply needs to be large enough and have suitable pressure. Probably the best option and also the most expensive.

Hey,

We had a similar problem - we live in Bath, known for being a hard water area, and we wanted an easy fix for our downstairs shower room. Looked around the web for the best deal, and we found that the Mira Sport electric shower range was the best for our problem - specifically deals with the decrease of limescale and comes in a high powered 9.8kw version (http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/mira-sport-white-and-chrome-electric-showers.html). So far we've noticed much improved pressure, and it looks a lot nicer than our old shower.

Hope this helps! :p [/url]

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your messages back. An electric shower is really our only option...

Thank you sdsd48 - I have researched around more, and it seems the mira sport is a good all-round choice. The price from the website you suggested is the best I've found so far, so I will order it and trust your advice!

Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back