Shower hot water tap jammed, safety button pressed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a grohe shower and with a dual tap arrangement (one controlling the flow and the other for temperature adjustment). The tap controlling the volume of hot water has a safety button on it which needs to be depressed before it can be turned. The problem is that the tap doesn't turn even with the safety button depressed, so there is no temperature control. It is stuck in a relatively 'hot' position and it's not possible to shower for long before the water turns uncomfortably hot. It looks similar to the one in the pic below.

It's probably a simple job to fix, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with similar problems on similar taps. Or if anyone could recommend a course of action that I could try before going to the expense of calling someone out.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
It will need a new cartridge - thats the water mixing device behind the control.
These are available from Grohe direct or the showerdoc.com - they are expensive though.
You may get the control to move more easily when it is cold, and if it does move it will free up to some degree.
John :)

Thank you for your reply Burnerman. It sounds like it could be a difficult job to fix.

Its not usually such a bad job - the knobs are removed and then the chrome embellisher plate behind.
With that out of the way, the cartridges are exposed and removed.
Obviously nothing can take place unless the hot and cold supply can be isolated!
Grohe do have a home call out service through their agents.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

This is a pic of the cartridge after the chrome fixture was removed. A plumber took a look (call-out cost £120) and is now quoting a figure in excess of £650 to fix the tap!!! So a total of £770 to repair a jammed cartridge! I can renovate the bathroom for that!

The top valve is the flow control, and the bottom valve is the temperature control (jammed)

Seems like an utter rip off. Please could anyone help me with some instructions on how to fix this myself, or some online guides?

What is the most likely cause of jamming? Limescale build-up?

In London, lime scale is a highly probable cause. If you are handy, I'd suggest:

a. Identify exact model and get installation / servicing instructions.
b. Make sure you have the right sized spanners / allen keys etc, silicone grease
c. Turn off hot and cold water supplies to shower.
d. Refer to instructions, remove cartridge.
e. If it can be done, take cartridge to pieces
f. Soak cartridge (pieces) in lime scale remover (Kill Rock, Ataka or similar)
g. If dismantled, re-assemble using silicone grease to lubricate O rings
h. While shower is apart, locate and clean hot and cold water inlet filters
i. Replace cartridge in shower body.
j. Turn on hot and cold and test.

If you're lucky that should get you a few more years of use out of it. If it doesn't work, buy a new cartridge but be prepared for an eye-watering price. Then as above omitting e. through h. inclusive.

Repairs like yours are difficult to cost. If it all goes smoothly, maybe and hour to an hour and a half. But the old cartridge will be difficult to get out, the water may be difficult to turn off, O'rings may be damaged and if a non standard size will need to be ordered.

Good luck

Hi oldbuffer,

Thank you for the useful guide and tips. How much do replacement cartridges normally cost? Are we talking hundreds?

I have been quoted £650 for a repair. Does this seem reasonable?

cartridge could be anywhere from 60-250 although i've never come across one that cost more than 170 in my days.

did he give you an explanation of why the cost is so high, ie it will take a long time to change?

I see, thanks for the price range. That sounds reasonable.

He mentioned tiles would need to be broken and replaced, but that's the case in any repair of this sort. He already charged me £120 for a 15 min 'assessment' in which he removed the front plate and took a look inside. So the total job will cost upwards of £770.

Personally I think he's ripping me off because I'm in London.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back