Shower mixer connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm fitting a new shower mixer and can't get a waterproof seal.

The connections are metal 1/2" female threads on the mixer and I'm using a metal (brass) male 1/2" threads from the H&C supplies.

The mixer has no rubber seals.

I've used 2 - 3 wraps of ptfe tape around the threads but it leaks quite badly when I switch the water back on.

I bought a pack of 20 1/2"rubber shower seals but I needed to insert 6 into the connection before a seal was made but I found that the first had been pushed out of shape and down the opening so that no water could pass so I've abandoned that idea.

Should there be rubber seals or should I use more wraps of ptfe tape?

Can a waterproof seal be made with metal to metal threads?

Sponsored Links
Should be rubber washers included, which will have wider "flat" part f the annulus surface than the shower washers you might have bought (are these for the hose?).
PTFE round the thread is of little value as you have found out.

Hi,

I've searched hi and low for some rubber washers as you describe but can't seem to find any. Do they have a special name? They'd need to be around 10mm thick to form a seal. Can you buy such things separately?

PS they were hose washers.

Post a photo here of your components or use more ptfe tape wound firmly into threads.

Sponsored Links
(£3.32 inc. VAT)
Product code: SPDBRASSMI15
Brand: John Guest Speedfit
MPN: 15MC
Quantity Required: http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/external/commerce/1/gfx/hires/SPDBRASSMI15.jpg
BUY
Quantity Price
1 - 9 £2.7700
10 - 49 £2.7146
50 + £2.6592
Description

Speedfit Brass Male Coupler 15mm x 1/2" - MW011504N
Fittings and pipe should be kept clean and undamaged before use.
Sizes 10mm to 28mm diameter.
Pipes Speedfit fittings can be used with:
- Copper pipe to BS EN 1057
- Speedfit Barrier Pipe to BS7291.
Speedfit fittings cannot be used on stainless steel pipe.
Standards Speedfit products are designed and manufactured under a fully integrated system assessed by B.S.I. to BS EN ISO9001. They are approved by the WRAS and BBA. Speedfit PEM Fittings and Speedfit Barrier Pipe are kitemarked to BS7291 Part 1, 2 and 3, Class S. (Licence No KM39767).

Applications
- Mains fed and indirect cold water systems
- Vented and unvented hot water systems
- Vented and sealed central heating systems

use your ptfe to form a gasket around the threaded side of flange,use plenty of it.
seems your supplied brass fittings do not have much of a flange.

175000_174309_38032_32106789_thumb.jpg

Nice to see the right tools are being used.

So now we know what the fitting is, then loctite55 would do it for me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back