Shower mixer getting stiff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a concealed shower mixer, which has got stiffer to turn on over time.

Basically to turn the shower on, you turn a handle to rotate the it by half a turn, so about 180 degrees, on the attached photo, this is the white lever pointing down. Over the last couple of years, this has got stiffer and stiffer to the point that now you can only turn about 90 degrees. Maybe if you push really hard it might turn all the way but I don't want to do that in case it breaks.

I've taken the front leaver/ handle and concealer plate off the front to get in to see if maybe its just that something needs lubricating. The problem I've got is that having done that, there is nothing obvious there to lubricate, so I'm not sure if I should attempt to actually take teh mixer appart or it that is just asking for trouble if I do that?

Any advice is welcome - let me know if anyone needs more info

cheers.

Attachments

• 20221010_092411.jpg
    20221010_092411.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20221010_092414.jpg
    20221010_092414.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20221010_101506.jpg
    20221010_101506.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
The valve needs to come out and greased. Unfortunately though, usually when it gets to the point then the brass is worn and it will just stiffen up again and really needs replaced.

Afraid to say if it had been serviced when it was first noticed then that's when lubricating would have been most effective.

cheers, I think I'll have a go at greasing the valve first. Is it just a case of loosening with a large wrench (see the photos on my first post)? Do I need to isolate from the water supply before doing this?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, shut down hot and cold water. If you remove that white nylon spacer, you may find that the centre section of the valve may be able to be removed. Alternatively that grub screw may be taken out and then a couple of large grips, one pair to grab the brass ring the other to hold the chrome nut and unscrew. If that doesn't go then it's one pair of grips on the chrome nut and the other to hold the outer body.

You may have a fight on your hands though as they're usually in pretty tight. You'll need some silicone grease to lubricate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back