shower not working at all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, Ive read through other shower probs posts but didnt find any similar problems.

I have a Mira shower which was installed by the local council approx 4 years ago, however, I now own the property and the shower is not working. I wondered if one of you would possibly be able to assist in ascertaining what the fault may be. So I can decide whether I need an electrician to come out, or if I need a new shower. I've also emailed the manufacturers asking the same question.

The model is Mira Sport 9.0 J92B 13/03

I turned the pull cord on yesterday, which lit up at the top of the pull cord as usual (the red light may have been slightly dimmer than usual), however the 'POWER' neon light did not light up on the unit as it usually does. When I turned the unit on, it did not operate, and the red light at the top of the pull cord went off. Which I am certain does not usually happen when the shower is in operation.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I thought perhaps a fuse has gone in the unit or in the isolator pull cord, but I wouldnt know where to check for this, or could it be a problem with the wiring? Dont want to fork out for a new shower if its something that could be quickly fixed by someone who knows how!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Its a tricky one. If you knew how to test it it would not be a problem. The problem as I see it is, you could call out an electrician who may tell you that you need a new shower unit thus costing the spark and a new shower or just buy a new shower anyway. Its a juggling act! BTW i am a spark and by giving this answer would be doing me out of work but I believe gives a good impression to the customers and would gain on repeat work.

Sponsored Links
Just got this helpful reply from manufacturers:

The symptom you have described is indicative of a neutral failure which could be at the fuse board / consumer unit, or the pull-cord itself. It is not a fault with the shower. Since you advise the indicator light at the pull-cord is going out when the shower is activated, I would suggest it is the pull-cord that is the most likely area for the fault to originate. A simple way to test this would be to bypass the pull-cord and then test the shower. If the shower runs normally, you can be confident that it is the pull-cord at fault which will then need to be replaced.

Although we have a nationwide network of Mira Service Engineers, they are only able to address faults with the equipment we manufacture. Since the pull-cord is not something we manufacture I would suggest you contact the Institute of Electrical Engineers (tel: 0207 240 1871) who should be able to recommend an electrician certified competent for undertaking the required remedial work.

Sooooooo, as I have no idea how to isolate the circuit at the consumer unit to have a look inside as suggested, and have no desire to get myself fried in my ignorance, I think I'll need to call a spark. Have asked my dad to look at things in the past, but he tends to be awful daft and I remember him getting a shock when fiddling about with my broken washing machine with the cover off, whilst it was on! Was seriously frightening as there were blue sparks going everywhere and I ended up shouting and screaming at him (from behind a door) to stop being a dafty.

Although, i do have cover from british gas which covers the wiring in my house so maybe I should give them a call first. Will check my policy.

Cheers for the advice folks. Will let you know what the outcome is.

[/b]

koodgipo said:
Sooooooo, as I have no idea how to isolate the circuit at the consumer unit to have a look inside as suggested, and have no desire to get myself fried in my ignorance, I think I'll need to call a spark. [/b]

Sounds like the best option if that's the case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back