Shower outlet: Screw joint question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A dumb question I suppose, but I would really welcome any advice.

I am fitting a new shower hose to a new shower water outlet in a new bathroom. The hose terminates in a male screw fitting of half an inch diameter. The water outlet is a female screw fitting to match. Fine so far.

When I screw the male fitting in (with PTFE tape) to the point where it is hand-tight, the fitting is too far into the wall i.e. there isn't room to fit the nice cover that hides the joint. THe obvious answer is just not to tighten it so hard so there's a good centimetre of the screw buried but still room to fit the cover.

However, bearing in mind the shower outlet is being pumped by a 3 bar pump, I'm cautious of having any joint that isn't water tight. How should I reconcile this? Fit washers? Am I being unduly concerned?

If I can work out how to post piccies, I'll add a photo of the instructions, such as they are, to illustrate.
Many thanks!
Richard

Sponsored Links
All you need is a "Tap extension", 1/2". Any plumber's merchant.
or
These come in lengths 10-40mm
Extensions.jpg

Excellent advice, and really speedy too!
I really want to thank you for this wonderful site, and your very kind assistance.
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back