Shower pressure/flow issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a supergen 66tx pump running 2 showers. Previously all worked ok.
IMG_0181.JPG
1 is right next to the pump and works fine. The other is about 20ft away on flexi and i'm having issues with the hot water.
The shower lost pressure on the hot and it was quite old so i had it replaced like for like. The issue remains so not the shower.
If I turn on the shower whilst set to my normal preferred temp it doesn't start. Initially it took abut a minute to but now it doesnt. I have to switch it to cold then it starts and I can move it to the desired temp. However it doesnt seem to make much difference to temp if I turn it hotter.
The pump seems to be running as it always has (which is quite loud).
Hot is on the right. Had a professional fit the new shower but clearly doesnt want the hassle of fixing this issue as choosing to ignore my messages.
Replacing the pump isnt cheap so wanted to know if anything else it could be prior to that.
There is adequate head room.

Have read about air lock so tried having the hot taps and showers on for several minutes without change.

Have read about blocked filters. Haven't been able to check that as the stop valves on the pipes don't seem to stop the water. I can't easily remove the shower to see if hot comes out of the shower pipes ok.

Also read about sticky flow switch. Could it be that and is it something I can get to on the top without touching the water?

Anyone i've spoken to just suggests changing the pump as if it's a £30 job.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
...The other is about 20ft away on flexi

Any chance that the liner is collapsed? I might be talking non-sense, perhaps this can't happen with no signs of an external leak which I'm sure you would have noticed and therfore mentioned.

A pro will be along soon.

Nozzle

If the pump works on one shower ,but not the other ,that pretty much rules out the pump. Sounds like the hot water flow to your second shower is restricted ,to such a low level that it can't trigger the pump.
You said the supply to it is " flexis" ,please clarify ?
There is a restriction either on the pipe run ,or possibly blocked filter on second shower. If the isolators do not close ,bung the outlets on the cold water tank which supplies both cold to shower pump ,and the second feed to the hot water cylinder. That will allow you to remove shower valve and check filters.
I assume your pump is pumping both hot and cold. Your cold supplies are not mains fed ,by any chance ,to showers are they ?

Take the shower head off, turn the pump off and see if you have any hot water flow. If it doesn't flow enough or at all then that's your issue. Your shower also needs to be designed for LP to ensure it will flow enough to start with to kick off the pump.

Sponsored Links
You can see the 2 white pipes to the second shower in the photo. They haven’t been touched. The pressure on hot dropped on the old shower and same on the new so I’m not thinking shower problem. It works once started but it doesn’t seem to get any hotter turning the temp dial from 10 o’clock round to 6.

To me it has to be a blockage or the pump. I should of checked the hot flow when the shower was being swapped but he couldn’t wait to get out of here.
The pump hasn’t been fitted ideally as the out pipes are horizontal not vertical and then tee off to the 2 showers. I can’t really change that as the pipe work is pretty inaccessible and I can’t get to the loft above the shower room to run pipes from above.

What sort of bungs do I need to bung the cold tank? Looked on eBay amazon and seems to be different sizes

So today i turn the shower off but the pump keeps running. Powered it off but when I power on again it come back on. Could that be linked to my pressure issues? googling it sounds like could be a stuck float? I aim to get the plugs today so i can take the flexes off.

If the pump works on one shower ,but not the other ,that pretty much rules out the pump. Sounds like the hot water flow to your second shower is restricted ,to such a low level that it can't trigger the pump.
You said the supply to it is " flexis" ,please clarify ?
There is a restriction either on the pipe run ,or possibly blocked filter on second shower. If the isolators do not close ,bung the outlets on the cold water tank which supplies both cold to shower pump ,and the second feed to the hot water cylinder. That will allow you to remove shower valve and check filters.
I assume your pump is pumping both hot and cold. Your cold supplies are not mains fed ,by any chance ,to showers are they ?

If I turn the pump off and turn on the shower I get cold come through but nothing on the hot. Today I have a new issue that the pump doesnt turn off even though the shower is off.

Thanks have ordered. Really struggling to understand if the issue is pump or blockage. Im guessing blockage as no hot at all when pump is off. Then gives me a bigger issue as I cant access the pipe run.

Does hot water run freely from all other hot taps in the property ?

yes although not great pressure and dont seem to get very hot. The pump feeds 2 showers. One right next to pump which seems ok. The other shower with the problem is further away and connected via white flexi pipes. You can see them in the photo. I was hoping it might be blocked filters in pump but thinking about it that would mean the other shower would be impacted. You can see the pipe tees off, one up to first shower and down to white flexes for problem shower.
The issue started a few months ago and I thought it might of been the shower. It was quite old anyway so replaced it, but still have the issue. If I turn the shower on it doesnt start. I have to switch it to cold then the pump kicks in, I then move the temp to about 10 o'clock and its warm. It doesnt seem to make much difference to temp if I move it round any more. The pump is very loud 3 bar but has always been. Only today wife turned shower off and the pump kept running.
I've had to turn pump off by mains. Im guessing float switch is stuck hence ordered the bungs so I can take the flexi hoses off and check filter and switch. Nothing is straight forward in this house. There are cut off valves on hot and cold but neither work hence the need for the bungs. Im contemplating also changing the valve washers whilst bunged as I assume they are worn and hence dont shut off

You do know that the silver braided hoses to pump have isolator valves built in ? It's the small white screw heads.

yes but they dont seem to work either. little plastic screw. I'm lucky like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back