SHOWER PROBS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

Newbie to this board but not entirely naive about electrickery.

Friend of afriend installed 9.5 Gainsborough electric shower yesterday and I now have a slight problem. (He is a qualified plumber and will arrange for necessary spark work if that is necessary) Shower worked once then went stone cold cos the power went. Checked consumer unit and found only have 30 Amp in fuse holder. (I have older CU (Memera) with traditional cartridge tyep fuse holders)

Before asking questions I should state that I do have the adequate 10mm cable from CU to shower/switch.

I need to either replace the 30 with a 40/45 fuse but the bigger fuse obviously wont go in the existing fuse holder. DIY stores stock wylex replacement cartridges but I don't know if they would be compatible with my CU? If they are, are they easy to fit?

I have also been advised to replace the fuse holders with MCBS (either gradually or over time) and am happy to do this. However, B&Q only stock wylex again and they go from 40-50. Again, would they be compatible with my CU or do I have replace with Memera MCBS?

I have been told that replacing individual fuse holders with MCBs is straightforward in that you remove the back of the fuse holder from the CU and replace. (unscrew or unclip) Assuming the power is off it as straightforward as that?

I assume that removing the back of the traditional fuseholder is not the same as removing the whole unit?

Would very much like to have a shower now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Wylex standard is the only one that MCBs are really available for, and even with those most of them could only take a 30A device max in each slot

Do you actually mean cartridge fuses (large version of plug fuses in a carrier), or semi enclosed re-wireable fuses (bit of fusewire in a carrier)? Sorry for asking a silly question, but quite often we get people calling the fusewire type as cartridge.

Best way forward I guess is to have a spark swap the board for a more modern DIN rail based unit and then if you go for a split load one you can have RCD protection for sockets and shower (a worthwhile upgrade). I suppose you could split the tails and put in a separate CU just for the shower, but I'd recommend having the whole board changed while you're at it

There is a a 30Amp cartridge fuse for the shower. (thats the one I need to replace urgently) The others are all semi enclosed rewirable.

I naively thought that I could replace the cartridge with a 40Amp (either with an appropriate Memera holder or another standard holder), or, by replacing just this one cartridge with an MCB.

Cheers

You'd probably have to contact mem and ask what the max loading for each fuseway is, and where to get fuse carriers from.

I dare say you have a 60A mainswitch, so even if mem give you the go ahead on a 45A circuit and you can get a 45A BS1361 carrier for it, its not going to be a good idea... plus you won't have RCD protection

Yes, a new board is the way to go IMHO

(I don't know what the biggest fuse rating allowed is, I know for a lot of the wylex standards its 30A which is why I'm being cautious)

Sponsored Links
Memera 3 C.U.
memera3.jpg

You can get a 45A cartridge fuse, but see the quote below.
Captured%202003-10-23%2000008.jpg

MEM 45AMP HRC FUSE/BASE/CARRIER

MEMERA 3 RANGE QLCS

PLEASE NOTE THIS FUSE CANNOT

REPLACE A 5AMP/15AMP OR A 30AMP YOU HAVE TO HAVE

A SEPARATE HOLDER ON THE BOARD

THIS FUSE IS FOR THE LATER VERSION

OF THE MEMERA 3 BOARD

I have seen plug in MCBs for this board, but it was years ago, and I wouldn't know where to start looking for someone who has any :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back