Shower pump advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're thinking of installing a shower pump for a new bathroom and I have some questions. Our house has a standard vented system with large open cold tank in loft and hw cylinder in airinb cupboard. The tanks are around 30-40 years old. The mains pressure is very high here and for that reason I've fitted a Honeywell presure reducer.

There are 2 bathrooms but we're thinking of doing up just one and would like a shower with quite a lot of flow. I'm not sure about going as far as a rain drencher but certainly a lot better than the current 1M head above the shower.

I was thinking about upgrading to an unvented system but the cost and the worry about all the existing pipework that could leak put me off. So I started looking at shower pumps.

Would something like a STuart Turner monsoon be very noisy?
Would 3bar be more than enough for a really good shower?

Also, should I get a twin pump for pumping from cold and hot tanks or should I use a single pump for the hot water and get the cold from the rising main?

Finally, I noticed all the existing feeds from the cold tank are at the same level so I was thinking I may as well upgrade the tank to a potable closed one but then I though if I'm doing that why not go the whole hog and get unvented storage.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought unvented would be the way to go for you, more reliable and quieter than a pump and would serve the whole house. Get your supply tested by a qualified engineer, it sounds like you have sufficient though.

Thanks for the replies. Still not sure why unvented is better than a good shower pump or even a thermal store?

Sponsored Links
Unvented is better than a pump for the reasons I've already given. Additionally, you could install secondary circulation for virtually instant hot water at all outlets (subject to the possibility of a little re-routing of pipework). Whether it's better than a thermal store is a little more debatable, though some thermal stores have suffered with clogged heat exchangers especially in hard water areas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back