Shower Pump Noise driving me mad!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,
i have just installed a shower pump by the hot water cylinder due to low water pressure for the shower. much better pressure not but it came with a downside...the noise - grundfos. am not bothered with the noise as such during the day or evening but the other half leaves for work at 0630 so shower is on at 0600 in the morning and drives me nuts.
any ideas on how to reduce the noise please? anyone had similar issues and how was it made better?

its in the airing cupboard with the hot water cylinder. having plaster board walls doesnt help lol.

i put it on a show pump matt but the motor noise is loud early in the morning and wakes everyone. hope i can reduce the noise to an acceptable level.

thank you

Sponsored Links
How about lining the walls around the pump and inside the door with cork or carpet tiles stuck to the plasterboard ? I assume the upper part of the cupboard is full of linen so that part should be OK.
I used carpet tiles to reduce drumming from the panels in the back of my van made it quite a bit better.

Sponsored Links
thanks everyone for the comments. i think will try the sound insulation slabs. i will update. many thanks all

just a follow up on this... instead of building stud partitions for this, am thinking of just 'gluing' them to the plaster boards. is there some sort of 'spray glue' or any ideas on what is best to glue these to the plaster boards. picture of space attached. with pipes behind the plaster boards , i really dont want to start drilling nails /screws into it. ha

Attachments

• airing cup.JPG
    airing cup.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 304
Cork tiles or carpet just use contact adhesive or double sided tape I used tape in the van.

Understand that a lot of shower pump noise is nasty high frequencies, which are easily soaked up by sound-absorbing material nearby. If you've ever been in a cafe or restaurant where the owners have understood this and hung sound absorbing panels up you'll know what I mean.

My pump is enclosed in a box I made, which is lined with carpet underlay glued and stapled on and covered in a layer of carpet felt. It never runs for long enought to get really hot but I did make a couple of ventilation holes in the box and the felt, which made no difference to the sound level because the sound is absorbed by materials close by, not covering the pump.

Of course you have to prevent transmission of sound into the floor so stand the pump on something solid like a piece of slate or timber, isolated from the floor by carpet or felt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back