Shower Pump on mains supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, had a look through FAQ and other topics but could not find exactly what I wanted to know.

I have two showers running from their own pump which are fitted to the hot water tank and cold water from header tank in the loft. One of the pumps has died and I was going to replace but I am also thinking of replacing the boiler as it is 26 years old and really on last legs. Problem with the shower pumps is they say do not connect to mains pressure, which at the moment is fine.

If I choose to get a combi bolier and remove the loft tank and hot water tank then I can't use these pumps. Is there a pump I can use on both systems? I want to avoid paying over £100 for a pump which I can't use if I change the boiler over.

Sorry if this is a stupid question as new to plumbing but learning fast!! :oops:

Sponsored Links
If you get a combi, you won't need any pump at all. A combi offers mains pressure hot and cold water. Pipe it straight to your showers. You will need to specify that the combi has sufficient capacity to run two showers simultaneously though.

Thanks thats what I thought might be the case but wanted to check. I am worried the water pressure may be really poor but will discuss with suppliers of the new boiler when I get one.

Stupid question 2 then, if mains pressure is okay, why have a cold water tank in the loft in the first place?

Your loft tank supplies your copper cylinder, which feeds your shower pump, giving you hot water. The other side of the pump needs another supply of gravity cold water, which it gets from the same tank, or preferably another one in the loft. In this way your pump is fed with water at the same pressure.
Your new combi, if you go for one, will need to be able to feed 2 showers, and your installer will need to check the incoming pressure before making any recommendations.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for your help. Found the recomended boiler section on here as well which is really useful, so fingers crossed!! :D

The FAQ on this give you advice on how to measure your mains pressure and flow rate.

You need the dynamic flow rate though which is a bit more complicated!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back