Shower pump stopped working altogether. What should I do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A shower pump Salamander installed in my property no longer works. The water pressure in the shower is poor. I am not certain if the pump also controlled the water pressure in the cistern, as that is now also very poor. I need to know the following:
1 - Can the pump be repaired?
2 - Should I call a plumber or an electrician?
3 - I am planning to extend my house and add 1 or 2 bathrooms. Is one pump sufficient for two or three showers?
4 - There seem to be many kinds of pumps advertised in the Internet. Would you be able to recommend one suitable for a 2 storey house?
5 - The water tank is in the loft and a second bathroom could be created in the loft. Where should the pump be installed? At the moment it is in the first floor.
6 - If I have to change the pump how much are the pump and the work likely to cost?
7 - The water tank in the loft does not look very clean. Someone suggested that could be the cause of the limited pressure in the shower. How are such tanks cleaned?

Shower pump 1.jpg Shower pump 2.jpg Shower pump 3.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. They are not worth repairing
2. Fit it yourself, easy to do, turn off water to pump, turn off electric, disconnect the hoses by pulling back the red plastic bit that connects to the pipes and repeat reverse process to install new pump.
3. Generally no , that pump looks like it is only powerful enough for one shower.
4. Personally I like the Stuart turner ones they sell in toolstation, they are a lot quieter than the salamander ones.
5. Install another pump near to the shower and hide it in a cupboard out of the way but so you can get to it should the need arise.
6. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Tap...uart+Turner+Monsoon+S+Twin+Shower+Pump/p65139
7. Just replace the tank.

Mike

That pump is the better part of 20 years old, forget about any repair to it.
For now, it can be replaced with an equivalent item so that the shower works properly.

For extra bathrooms, there is far more involved than just adding or changing the pump. Likely that the whole system will need to be upgraded or replaced.

If you are thinking about putting a bathroom in the loft too, you may need a universal pump so lots of planning to do 1st.

Not something easily answered on a blind forum

Sponsored Links
Monsoon is
  • more expensive though
  • Brass impeller / housing - Continuous rated so no need for breaks, longer lasting construction
  • Can be used to pump the whole bathroom, could probably cater for 2 if flow is adequate
  • Better flow rates & 22mm inlets
Techflo
  • Lower flow rates
  • will only power 1 shower for 30 minutes then needs to be idle for the next 30 minutes
  • Cheaper
Again though if you are planning to have a shower/bathroom in the attic as well then a universal pump will probably be needed, what was the justification he gave to use a Techflo?

as above , you get what you pay for . the monsoon would probably save you money & hassle in future , tell the plumber to get on his bike with that recommendation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back