Shower take off from Heatrae Sadia Megalife 210

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I arrange a shower take off from my Heatrae sadia Megalife 210 vented cylinder as it doesn't have a normal male or female boss, ie for a Surrey or York flange. The hot water outlet is a 22mm stainless tube (integral with the cylinder) . I want to run 3 thermostatic mixer showers in total, so would like to have set it up properly. ie avoiding aeration and good flow.

Sponsored Links
Just take the hot from anywhere and the cold from the balanced cold feed.

There are no aeration issues with unvented cylinders that I am aware of, but then again I am normally wrong.

EliteHeat- You've mis-read the Megalife is a vented stainless steel done in a Megaflo stlye but works like any vented vessel. OP - not sure a Warix flange will help either. You could try altering out take to a 45deg rise then tee off with shower run facing down.

EliteHeat- You've mis-read the Megalife is a vented stainless steel done in a Megaflo stlye but works like any vented vessel. OP - not sure a Warix flange will help either. You could try altering out take to a 45deg rise then tee off with shower run facing down.

Oops, apologies - see I said I was normally wrong :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if anyone would come up with an answer for this one. I can do no better than Nixt's suggestion, which isn't a great method but may be your best option.
If you're going to PUMP any of those showers though, I think you'd better call Sadia, because you really need a "flange".

Been on the heatrae site, looking at the installation instructions, but all they say is this

'The hot water distributing pipes can be teed off the vent pipe. If fitting a shower booster pump particular attention should be made to the manufacturers instructions regarding the positioning of the hot water tapping to prevent air entrainment via the vent pipe.'

What a cop out :eek: :rolleyes:

Well found, I didn't see that!

Bow legs to them, get an hss holesaw and fit an Essex flange in the side!

Thanks for that, fitting an essex flange to this type of cylinder looks daunting considering the outer skin makeup and its a stainless steel tank.
There is a secondary return connection 1/2" BSP about 2/3rds the way up, Could that be used.

That connection could do the trick! interesting that its only 1/2".

see what the instructions say about this connection also?

secondary circ's dont require large flowrates so 1/2" is adequate Id branch off the vent as long as the pipe work is falling & pump is on floor it'l be fine. 28mm cold feed to cylinder would be a good idea though. Whats ya pump make & bar rating. If u want 3 showers then u really need a Stuart Turner 3.5 bar Whats the chance off all 3 working at once . 3 x 1/2" pumped showers on at same times gona take around 12 /15ltrs per shower per minute out of that store. your 210ltr capacity may only last 5-8mins. will depend on type of mixer & head. that kind of flow wont be achived through the 1/2" tapping & a pump of this spec will need 22mm supply. If u are only gona run one at a time its a different matter.

Thanks BAB for that,
Would branching off the TEE cause any aeration problems for the pump and how far after branch would I need to TEE for normal hot water outlet.
Haven't decided on pump yet but will certainly heed your advice, perhaps I need another cylinder as its in a pub with en-suite rooms.

Run the hot outlet from the top of the cylinder at 45 degrees towards the existing vertical feed and vent pipe. Tee off the 45 degree pipe underneath and then down to the pump.

Use a regenerative (also known as peripheral) pump. These are very tolerant of entrained air. The other type of pumps are centifugal however unless you supply air free water to them they will have problems.

Theres lots of different options available which can some be decided on cost,space & distance. Fitted a lot of en-suites in a very large bed & breakfast with a poor water supply. we fitted purpose made 60"x 16" lowpressure cylinders into each ensuite each with seperate 1bar pump. each heated by economy 7 at night & boosted by the heating if needed. each cylinder with its own zonevalve & cylstat so only heating off the boiler took place when the room was booked. (not a cheap job but very versatile)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back