Shower tray fitting - boxing in compression waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a shower tray - the old one had push fit waste fittings below the floorboards.

I've used the old waste pipe, but I'm a bit nervous about using compression fittings and sealing them in. They don't leak at the moment but in ten years time...?

Any harm in using silicone to seal tbe threads? Or would you rip it all out and use solvent weld (I'd need to replace the pipe out through the wall and into the stack).

Sponsored Links
The offending article... Slightly wonky angles on the joints.

Attachments

• IMG_20191223_100012-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191223_100012-800x600.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 313
If it's at all possible always use solvent weld under floors.

If not then use the best fittings possible, that would be McAlpine IMO. I wouldn't use floplast. Never go cheap or quick when it's hidden under a shower.

Never known compression waste to start leaking unless disturbed, but if it's going to mean ripping half the house apart to get to it in future, I'll second Madrab, and replace with solvent weld, at least as far as is practical.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back