shower tray help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My dad's friend has bought a new shower tray and it size is 1600mm by 850mm shallow tray made of cast ABS stone with 1/2 inch thick plywood fix/glue to bottom and also a pack of feets for tray.

What I would like is, is eight support feets enough for that type of tray?

He would like to keep it low step to tray so I thought the best way is to fit 1 inch thick plywood on top of joists and the tray will sit on top. Is that the best way or....... :confused:

Also the hole for waste is right on top of joist so we going to turn it around closer to wall but it out of reach.......so we might cut out a ceiling below and turn in a access panel.

Has anyone done this before on a large tray...?
And how strong is the trays?

Please advise.

Many Thanks.

Dan

Sponsored Links
The parts supplied with the tray are designed to be strong enough to support the tray and a person or two (!).It's entirely up to you how you install it, as long as it's secure and watertight. On larger trays the waste access can be an issue dependent on waste position, but that the nature of the beast. If you wish to make access below, it's up to you, but it won't necessarily be the prettiest of installs. :)

Thanks.

So what I will do is.....

Remove t + g floorboard the size of tray, fit 1 inch plywood board on joists with shim to ensure board is level then cut out hole for the waste, drop tray on top of board, not need to secure it as tray is heavy. Connect waste to trap, I'll take my chance with long arm. Then I wait till tileman fix wall tiles to wall, then I be back to install screen.

Does anyone know how strong is ABS stone cast?

Cheers, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
not need to secure it as tray is heavy.

It will still move slightly, enough to break the silicone around the top. Screw the feet down if possible or at least stick it to the wall with some silicone.

Does anyone know how strong is ABS stone cast?

It's pretty strong but don't throw a brick at it ;)

Tamz is right - silicone against the sides/ wall - then again after tiles ;)

If you are not using the feet, bed the base in a weak mortar mix and stick it to the walls with silicone.

Picasso, that seems a good product, if the walls are nice and square. For everything else, silicone, silicone, and then a tad more silicone. :LOL:

in reply to tamz ok point taken, in reply to crockett, the seal allows for out of square, and doesnt degrade over time, it really is a fit and forget bit of kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back