Shower water from outbuilding to soak away?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it permissible to build an outbuilding for the purpose of a gym, shower and steam room at the end of a garden which then drains into a soakaway? No toilets will be added.

Sponsored Links
You can install a grey water collector, but not a standard soak away

But the purpose of a grey water tank would be to recycle the used water, which if used on garden plants etc would surely have the same effect as draining into the soakaway?

Sponsored Links
Grey water recycling in a domestic setting is where the water is filtered/disinfected etc and re-used for toilets, the washing machine or indeed garden use. But you need a bit of kit (£££s) to do it. It doesn't just drain into a hole and then that has a pipe outlet feeding a big tank to tap into.

Last edited:
As this outbuilding will be some 30m away from the main house, this would not be practical to have a grey water tank in that case. Sounds like the only option would then be to pipe the waste water all the way back down the garden to the public sewer. But at 30m the slope would be crazy.

Why crazy? Minimum gradient for 100mm pipe with a toilet at the end of it (and why you wouldn't put a toilet in your gym is beyond me unless it was just to avoid drainage back to the sewer) is 1 in 80. Even if you go for 1 in 50 to ensure positive flow that's still only 20 mm per metre so total drop of 600mm across 30 metres. Pretty much what I've had to do with a garage build (clay subsoil so BCO told me rainwater had to drain to sewer rather than soakaway, when I suggested adding a toilet he said 'as long as you put handwashing in there as well, crack on')

Arr. Well worth having a look at Building Regulations Approved Documents for guidance for the whole thing then- you don't have to do exactly what they say but if you do then your work will comply with the appropriate Regulations. Plus when you start talking to builders you'll know what they're talking about (and may be able to spot the charlatans by what they don't mention!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back