Shower/wet room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to covert my upstairs loo into a wet room, taking out the existing WC. The floor being timber boards/joists etc.

I have read on the internet about a pre-formed shower tray with gully that sits flush with the timber floor (ie. remove boards, stick/nail/seal it in and then tile over complete).

Has anyone done this and was it a good way of doing the job. Or should I plywood the floor to falls with a good visqueen/plastic membrane then tiles. Or is this asking for trouble.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
upstairs wetrooms = disaster waiting to happen

Thanks Jason.

That's the product I was looking at, but your suggested web site gave so much more detail, I feel more confident to tackle this wet room upstairs.

I hear what Solo is saying "disaster waiting to happen". Still I'm sure the 'women that has to be obeyed' will appreciate the risk, hard labour, not to mention cost, that will go into her latest request - "Wouldn't it be nice if we had a shower upstairs".

Sponsored Links
solo said:
upstairs wetrooms = disaster waiting to happen

At least you will know when it starts leaking unlike one on a ground floor :LOL: :LOL:

Jason

Jason if you are still watching :!: what tiles would you recommend for the floor.

As the pre-formed deck is laid to falls I was going to use small mosaic tiles. Should I use ceramic tiles instead of the better looking natural (travertine) stone tiles.

The supplier of the stone tiles said that they can be sealed to stop water penetration, but I'm not sure this would be a good idea, as this wet room floor is always going to be wet/saturated.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

NB. I've laid the aqua deck system and most impressed. Does away with the shower tray way of thinking and no cheap and nasty doors.

Any ceramic, porcelain or glass mosaics will be fine, the 50mm ones still follow the falls but have a bit less grout to keep clean.

Stone mosaics will also be fine, any stone product needs to be sealed to stop the grout staining it, increase water absorbtion and also to intensify the colour if thats what you want. If you go for stone then use one of the Lithofin products, a bit more expensive than some but much better quality.

Travatine can be a bit open grained, go for limestone or possibly tumbled marble.

Original Style do a good rainge of stone & glass mosaics, you can download the brouchers from the above page.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back