shower zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm in the process of installing a new bathroom, and i'm just wondering if it is safe to install an electric towel rail at the end of an exposed shower with tray. The shower rail i'm using is ip44 rating, and will be at a distance of 1 meter away from the shower head itself. The spur which it is wired to is completely away from the shower. will this be safe?

Sponsored Links
Ok, then the only restriction is that a "switch" must be more than 600mm. from an open edge of the tray.

In other words, what you have seems fine.

Sponsored Links
Ok, then the only restriction is that a "switch" must be more than 600mm. from an open edge of the tray. In other words, what you have seems fine.
A genuine question, not a 'criticism' .... is 1 metre away from the shower head (with no intervening barrier) OK for an IP44 appliance?

Kind Regards, John

legend, so the cable coming out from the radiator and fed in behind the wall to a fused spur switch that will be located 2 meters away from the shower is fine?

A genuine question, not a 'criticism' .... is 1 metre away from the shower head (with no intervening barrier) OK for an IP44 appliance?
It's the towel rail that is 1m. away; towel rails are allowed in zones 1 and 2.

I presume you are asking because zone 1 is also zone 0 when there is no shower basin (tray) as Fig.701.1(f); NRG81 does have a basin (tray) as Fig.701.1(d) or it could even be as Fig.701.2(c).

It's the towel rail that is 1m. away; towel rails are allowed in zones 1 and 2. I presume you are asking because ....
I'm asking because, regardless of what the item is, I was wondering whether it is acceptable (or wise) to have an IP44 piece of equipment (of any sort) within 'spray range' of a shower head. I presume, from what you say, that the answer is 'yes'.

Kind Regards, John

if i have my back to the shower the screen runs along my left hand side and the radiator will be in front

I would expect if the towel warmer's heating element is IPX4 or greater, then it would be fine.
The other consideration, would also be is there adequate RCD protection?

i have an rcd mains board which i replaced a couple of years ago?

Surely the screen is a barrier?
As I understand it, the screen is along just one side of the shower tray. It sounds as if the adjacent side of the tray (where the towel rail is to go) is 'open' (no screen) - hence my comment that the rail (1m from shower head) will probably be within the (unimpeded) 'spraying range' distance of the shower head. However, I may have misunderstood.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back