Showers with low mains pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live on the third floor of a mansion block and the mains pressure is low. I have a combi boiler and want to install a shower so thought that my only option was an electric. This has proved to be virtually impossible and extremely expensive due to the wiring of my flat and the whole block (which is ancient). Can I fit a pump to the mains supply to boost the pressure into my boiler so that I can then fit a mixer shower? Alternatively, is it possible to fit a low powered pump between the boiler and the shower to boost the pressure? I have a feeling this is impossible with a combi boiler. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No. Nada. Rien. Sorry, you're stuffed, unless you can find somewhere to store some water in a tank, which you can pump to supply the combi. No easy answer.

How low is the pressure? Or is it that the flow is poor (not quite the same thing)? What's wrong with fitting a thermostatic shower running off combi?

Depending on the exact circumstances, you might improve things by fitting an "accumulator" in the cold supply before the combi. This would help stabilise pressure and boost flow for a limited time.

Sponsored Links
The pressure's not disasterously low and it may be poor flow as the hot is weaker than the cold. My fear is that I'll spend good money on a mixer or thermostatic shower and all it will produce is a fairly pathetic dribble. I have an Alpha CB28X boiler. Will a thermostatic shower help me with potentially low pressure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back