Shrinking a front door void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will probably be a new one for many. I have bought a pub and converting to a house. The front door is 160cm wide and I want to fill it in by 500mm (wife, door, choice, smaller).

Simple blockwork column or timber frame ?

Sponsored Links
combination frame / door with glass panel Iintel to floor either side.
decorative functional less work.

Unfortunately Wakey, wife and mother in law have spoken. So I am stuck with reducing the front door by 500mm.

Sponsored Links
Done that John, on number three. Not sure I want to go through all that again for the sake of a front door.....

Feed wife pies, lardy cake and dripping on toast until door is right size.

Seriously, I think an awful lot of people would give their eye teeth for an opening big enough for an imposing front door. Does SWMBO have a plan on how to usefully use the space liberated by making the opening narrower?

If not, why on earth does it matter so much to her?

combination frame / door with glass panel Iintel to floor either side.
decorative functional less work.
blank65x10t.gif
whssign.gif

Unfortunately Wakey, wife and mother in law have spoken. So I am stuck with reducing the front door by 500mm.
But Wakey's suggestion would give you a narrower door, but instead of a solid wall next to it you'd have a glass panel which would admit light and be nothing but goodness.

Unless the women have some vital plan to use that extra 50cm of return.

To be honest i think a lot of people get caught up in the ideas projected into there minds by these grand designs programmes etc when renovating / converting buildings into houses instead of looking at the building and going along with its charachter and original purpose im not saying have a bar and dart board in your front room (although) ;)
but keeping some of the charachter and originality of some of these buildings can actually save a lot of money and make for a very interesting home.

So. Rather than fight this bugger, and upon advice above, we/I have made an executive decision. Stick the door back on Ebay and get one that not only fits the bigger opening, but (as pointed out), compliments the building.

I have my eye on a nice set of oak double doors that will do just nicely....

Wakey

You are going to like what we are now doing. 1.6 wide double mahogany doors with stained glass.. Rather befitting for the building. I will post pics once its fitted.

Thanks to all for talking me out of buggering up the front of the house.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back