Side garage roof rafters fixiBuild Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under Building Notice I'm Intending to side attach garage (just under 5 mtrs long by 3 mrts wide) to bungalow. I want flat roof under eaves. As it's under eaves how would garage roof rafters fit to bungalow wall that would satisfy Build Control. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bolt a length of 7x2" to the wall and use joist hangars.
I was thinking that the uppermost courses of a bungalow may not be man enough for ex-bolts. I was thinking about raising the roof level so that the new roof joists sat on the brickwork at soffit height and could be fixed/restrained to the bungalow rafter ends.

Probably means removing the bottom course of tiles or knock off a row of bricks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Ignore windows etc on pics as its not going there, just easier to take pics. The bungalow is around 60 yrs old with 60/70 mm cavity. The walls would not take heavy fixings. Bungalow rafters main weight is on inner wall. I also know planning would not agree to going above eaves, which I'm not keen on. A detached garage would only leave circa 2 mtrs internal width ( 2.9 minus gap under eaves of 450 plus 2 walls. So is there a solution?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200112_155453.jpg
    20200112_155453.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 20200112_155429.jpg
    20200112_155429.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 155
As catlads suggestion above but use resin fixings instead of expanding bolts to secure timber bearer to wall :!:

Trying to fit flat roof joists under eaves will mean that you'll only fit a convertible under the garage roof

It would be neat if you could continue the fascia line around the garage.

your 'wall plate' would then have to attach to the plumb cut of the rafters -Im not sure if that would be sufficiently load bearing, but you could support the plate on front and back wall of garage and make it strong enough to be a supporting beam

If your fascia is around 2100mm above FFL on house then you would just about get a reasonable head height that way -assuming ground level is around 150mm below FFL.

Thanks for replies. Total height to eaves is 2250 taken from bottom of150mm DC. Ok but would look too much like a tunnel. So no joy. But thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back