Side of garage wall / porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have had planning permission accepted and have submitted a building notice which I will probably change to full plans once my foundations and oversite are complete.
I am unsure whether my wall between my porch and garage can be either a stud wall or if I have to use brick(if so what's the regs regarding thickness )? Looking at the plans I cannot see that wall being a supporting wall? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
neither are habitable spaces, so I dare say as long as your building inspector was happy with the fire protection provision (that a fire starting in the garage should not block an escape route/ encourage spread into the house by burning down a flimsy porch wall) then fine..

..but:

a) If it's not a supporting wall, what carries the garage roof?
b) What do you really hope to gain by making it stud? Half a day's trade time laying blocks? A few quid saved?

Thanks for reply, I'm happy to make it single skin wall. The porch is not very wide so don't want to make it any smaller. I was going to have a steel from the right side of garage to the lest of porch ?

Sponsored Links
problem with steel is in external walls it needs treating to stop it corroding, and in internal spaces needs boxing in or painting with intumescents to protect it from fire.. plus you'll be amazed at what your structural engineer will specify to carry a few matchsticks and tiles - you might well end up spending more on fabricated, galvanised universal beams than just building a wall ;)

Hi, I was planning on having one side of the steel being supported on on the existing exterior wall and the otherside to run over to the new cavity wall on the garage. I take it this will be ok to do? Do you know how much of the steel is required to be sitting on the wall, I have read up 100mm-150mm? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back